Deputy Down

One year later, questions remain about Deputy Todd Fatta's tragic death

"Doorbell," Jones wrote to Spector. "Hold."

Love confirmed that the person who answered the door was the man in the nude photograph e-mailed to Spector along with the child pornography. Jones was indeed the suspect.

Spector arranged a rendezvous. Three days later, on February 24, 2001, Jones pulled into the parking lot of a hotel in Port Saint Lucie driving his silver 2001 Nissan Xterra. He wanted illicit sex; instead, he got handcuffs.

Kenneth Wilk owned an arsenal of weapons, including a Model 94 Winchester rifle and a Rossi lever-action rifle (following picture).
Kenneth Wilk owned an arsenal of weapons, including a Model 94 Winchester rifle and a Rossi lever-action rifle (following picture).

In Jones' car, Spector found sex toys and condoms, as well as a baggie containing crystal methamphetamine and a bottle of Caverject, a male impotence drug. The arrest was covered by local television news, letting residents of Coral Highlands know just who lived at 1950 NE 57th St.

Two weeks later, according to a police report, a neighbor allegedly broke one of the house's front windows and left a note on Wilk's car. A police report states: "The note advises him that he is no longer welcome in the neighborhood and that he should move before actions are taken against him."

From this point on, Wilk's father isn't sure what happened to his son. He'd always known him to be a law-and-order type. But after Jones' arrest, Wilk cut off contact with the family.

Wilk appeared to blame Jones' troubles on the law. At one of Jones' hearings, according to court records filed in St. Lucie County, Wilk told an FBI agent assisting the investigation of Jones: "I'd [like] to beat you."

In a letter to Jones dated September 2, 2001, Wilk wrote: "I get so angry that I want to kill every cop that I see. I will never stop hating cops for the rest of my life. I will devote my life [to] attacking the police and avenging you for all they have done."

To that end, Wilk registered the AOL username COPWARNING and began to troll the chat rooms. Only Wilk didn't want sex or pornography; he was trying to warn people about undercover officers. On his AOL profile, Wilk's personal quote read: "Religion is for weak-minded people. A good cop is a dead one." While in the chat room, Wilk accused one user -- DavidClyde007, an alias used by Spector -- of being law enforcement.

On September 17, 2001, Wilk, using the alias Wolpackeines, entered into a short but tense online conversation with Spector. Only at the end did the detective realize that Wilk had found him:

Wolpackeines: I hope you can live with yourself, I will hunt you down the rest of my life

DavidClyde007: WHO IS THIS?

Wolpackeines: the last person you will see on earth

DavidClyde007: REALLY

Wolpackeines: promise


Wolpackeines: you figure it out spector

DavidClyde007: HOW IS THAT SIR

DavidClyde007: Is this Ken?

Immediately following the conversation, Wilk called Fort Lauderdale police, claiming he had been threatened online. "He thinks Spector is a bad cop," Officer Mark Parnell wrote in his report. But the only available chat transcript, which the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office later submitted into evidence, was the one in which Wilk threatened Spector.

Then, on November 11, 2001, Fort Lauderdale police officers searched Wilk's and Jones' house, seizing three revolvers and three high-caliber rifles, all of which were registered. Among the weapons were a Yugoslavian 8mm bolt-action rifle and a Rossi .45-caliber lever-action rifle -- a powerful weapon similar to the one Wilk would later use to kill Deputy Fatta. Hanging from Wilk's computer desk were anti-police slogans and two copies of a City Link article about Detective Spector.

During the search, Wilk told Fort Lauderdale police that "he was in fear of his life because Detective Neil Spector was trying to kill him." Spector declined to comment for this article.

In December 2001, St. Lucie County prosecutors charged Wilk with threatening a public official, a felony. He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault on a law enforcement officer and was sentenced to 90 days. In a motion Wilk himself filed, he told the court that he accepted the plea for financial reasons; he could no longer afford his attorney. He maintained that the government was targeting him unjustly. "The conduct of the government has been so outrageous, it offends the universal sense of justice and fair play," he told the court.

For his part, Jones pleaded guilty to federal child pornography charges and received a 29-month sentence.

On June 17, 2004, four days after Kelly Ray Jones was released from prison, Detective Spector made another bust -- an unidentified Florida man who was trading child pornography on the Internet and offering his underage daughter for sex. The man agreed to work with authorities and provided Spector with a list of AOL usernames representing people with whom he traded illegal images and videos. One of the usernames was Kelevision2. It was used by a man named Kelly in Broward County, the arrestee told law enforcement.

Spector had a hunch. Using the AOL account of the arrested man, whose username is not specified in reports, he contacted Kelevision2. "Hey," Spector wrote.

"Fuck where u been?" the suspect wrote back, not realizing police were using the account.

Spector told Kelevision2 that he'd recently met with someone who allowed him to have sex with a child. "Hook me up," Kelevision2 replied. Spector responded that he had lost all his child pornography and needed more.

« Previous Page
Next Page »
My Voice Nation Help