BEST OF BROWARD/PALM BEACH® 2000
There are places here, where we live, that are mysterious to us. Strange and inexplicable locales that are like unanswered questions just sitting out there. It is all exciting, new, and available, so we go and see. Something spurs us into getting out and discovering all that is weird and wonderful around us. Instead of crossing continents, we take a trip to here.
For many people a trip means getting away from problems. Leave the job pressures behind and crank up the engine. Turn your back on them and go. Get outside that so-called life and move beyond.
But for us exploration is in the genes, and it needs to happen on a regular basis. It can happen around the world or around the block. And we are also driven to write about it. By keeping a record of our experiences in a journal, we can fully appreciate the spiritual journey that comes with the physical stimulation of travel.
Often the goal of a travel journal is to seek out the notable qualities of what we see and do and put them on paper. A celebration of the people, places, institutions, businesses, and ideas that make the place worth examining. We let our senses explore what is around us. Our eyes are peeled and our fingers, ears, and mouths are ready for sensory stimulation. When we get information about what is great, or at least good, we like to write about it and pass it on.
And so it is with the second annual Best of New Times Broward/Palm Beach. These "Bests" represent the choices of our writers, editors, and contributors. We don’t need a committee to decide what we like, and we’re not into what is merely popular. We simply hope to write well about that which stimulates us. That’s it.
Our readers contributed too. Hundreds of you have placed your votes for your Bests. Those results have been tabulated and are printed in each section.
We've also given some space to journal entries we've kept along the way. You may notice we especially go for the wacky in South Florida: a shipwreck, a botánica, a bunker, and more.
So dive in and capture the feelings and experiences of our trip.
Find more Best of Broward-Palm Beach® winners:
- Best Radio StationWLRN-FM (91.3)
- Best ActressPat Nesbit
- Best Place to Get Hammered and Read YeatsMaguire's Hill 16
- Best Bar/Palm Beach CountyBamboo Room
- Best ActorWilliam Metzo
- Best Sports BarChampps Americana
- Best Location For A Dance NightSonic Saturdays at Respectable Street
- Best ConcertThe American Analog Set
- Best New World CuisineDarrel & Oliver's Café Maxx
- Best Ice CreamJaxson's
- Best Drive-Thru DonutKrispy Kreme Doughnuts
- Best HamburgerShuck-N-Dive Cajun Sports Café
- Best Farmers' MarketBatten's Farm & Marketplace
- Best French FriesCheeburger Cheeburger
- Best Family RestaurantPenn Dutch Restaurant
- Best Restaurant/Broward CountyCanyon Southwest Café
- Best Liquor StoreABC Fine Wine & Spirits
- Best Used-Book StoreTrader John's Book & Record
- Best Ploy To Get People To Buy A Faltering Daily NewspaperThe Herald's Sunday Broward edition fire sale
- Best BookstoreBarnes & Noble Booksellers
- Best CigarsCigar Factory
- Best Store For Fishing GearBass Pro Shops Outdoor World
- Best BoutiqueJezebel
- Best Limousine ServiceA Better Limousine Service
- Best Vintage Clothing StoreDeco Dermots Antique Clothing & Costumes
- Best Place To Rediscover Your JewishnessShabbos For a Novice
- Best Computer StoreGateway Country Stores, Inc.
- Best FloristAdam & Eve Florists, Inc.
- Best Bike ShopLee's Locksmith & Bike Shop, Inc.
- Best Men's ClothingMen's Wearhouse
- Best Erotic Art GalleryEros Loft at Adult Video Warehouse
- Best Flea MarketFestival Flea Market Mall
- Best Place To Ride A BikeA1A (North Ocean Drive between Camino Real and Atlantic Avenue)
- Best Place To Play Competitive Sports Without Getting SunstrokSports Mall
- Best Day TripKoreshan State Historic Site
- Best New Bike Path For MasochistsLoxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge
- Best Place To Rent Go-KartsGrand Prix Race-O-Rama
- Best Hike/Broward CountyFlorida Scenic Trail, Section Two
- Best Place To CanoeNorth Fork of the New River
- Best Place To Mountain-BikeMarkham Park
- Ten Best Waterfront Restaurants in Broward County
- Ten Best Taco Tuesday Deals in Broward and Palm Beach
- Ten Best Happy Hours in Palm Beach County
- The Ten Best Dad Bars in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best Happy Hours in Broward County
- Ten Best Brunches in Delray Beach
- Ten Best Brunches in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Delray Beach
- Ten Best Restaurants in Hollywood
- Ten Best Romantic Restaurants in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best Bagels (and Bialys) in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Five Best Ramens in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Boca Raton