BEST OF BROWARD/PALM BEACH® 2003
But that fare isn’t real enough for you, dear reader. We don’t believe reality can be found in a television. Rather, we contend it’s right here in South Florida, where the summer heat’s just starting to crank up and you are desperate for some way to distract yourself from the subtropical inferno.
So in this, our fifth Best of Broward-Palm Beach issue, we deliver more than 290 reality bytes. There’s a strip joint in West Palm Beach where $30 filets are served on linen tablecloths. An earthy lesbian bar where the women dress like men and do karaoke — sometimes using microphones that look a lot like dildos. A joint in Davie where you can find used video games for a mere five bucks. And a Hollywood restaurant once visited by Al Capone where the cook makes rabbit-shaped pancakes for kiddies.
We’ve also interviewed some of the people who make this place real. The top restaurateur, a political wheeler-dealer, and an ironwoman who rode 112 miles on a bike, ran a marathon, and swam more than two miles — all in record time. Hell, if they can find time to watch reality TV, whatinhell are you doing with your day?
We are also proud to announce - no self promotion intended -- that we are, well, the best friggin' alternative newspaper in the American Southeast, according to our colleagues.
New Times writers have been cited in national, regional, and state competitions for more than 30 stories, columns, and parodies this year. Our staff did better than any other publication in the weekly category of the Society of Professional Journalists Green Eyeshade awards, which cover the 11 southeastern states. Writers Eric Barton and Susan Eastman took first places in business and breaking news categories, columnist Bob Norman grabbed two seconds in serious commentary and investigations, and associate editor Ted B. Kissell came home with a second in sports commentary.
Editor Chuck Strouse will be honored later this month as the nation's best alternative newspaper columnist at the convention of the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies. And, in an unprecedented finish, three New Times staffers - Norman, Olson, and Kissell - were all honored as finalists for the Medill School of Journalism's prestigious John Bartlow Martin Award for Public Interest Magazine Journalism. (The winner in that competition, by the way, was Miami New Times.)
Barton, Eastman, Norman, Olson, Strouse, and art director Michael Shavalier are also finalists in ten different categories in a contest run by the Florida Press Association's Better Weekly Newspaper Contest. The winners will be announced later this month.
So rip open the following pages. Read to your heart’s content. And what the hell? Turn on the tube.
Find more Best of Broward-Palm Beach® winners:
- Best Museum in Palm BeachNorton Museum of Art
- Best ArtistSally Ordile
- Best Art GalleryCarone Gallery
- Best Museum in BrowardArt and Culture Center of Hollywood
- Best Radio ProgramSunday Blues with Dar
- Best FestivalLangerado Music Festival
- Best Radio StationAnything not owned by Clear Channel
- Best Concert of the Past 12 MonthsWilco at the Carefree Theatre, November 4, 2002
- Best Club NightIn the Biz Night at the Blue Martini
- Best Hip-Hop NightMother's Pub
- Best Place to Get FloggedClub 84
- Best Wine BarHarrison's Wine Gallery
- Best Alternative to a Strip BarGreenbrier Restaurant
- Greg AliferisGreg Aliferis is the owner of the Culture Room, Fort Lauderdale' s premier venue for national rock acts
- Best LoungeKarma Lounge
- Best Place for a Drink After 5 a.m.Banana Joe's
- Phil Kappesmanages his father's popular sandwich place, Spada's Original Hoagies, in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
- Best Caesar SaladDelacaseas
- Best FalafelSawaf's Restaurant
- Best RibsWings N Curls
- Best Bread in a BasketAruba Beach Cafe
- Best Chili84 Diner
- Best Cheap BreakfastTurkish-American Restaurant
- Best Place to Eat BuffaloErnie's Restaurant
- Best Vintage Clothing StoreLucille's Consignment
- Best Strange StuffNatural Selections Exotics
- Best Flea MarketLake Worth High School Flea Market
- Best Ornamental SalvageEastside Antique Market & Architectural Depot
- Best Store You'll (Probably) Need Only Once in Your LifeBridal Headpiece Collection
- Best Toy StoreThe Explorer Store at the Museum of Discovery & Science
- Best Place to Get BlownCrystal Visions Glass Studio & Gallery
- Best Place to Buy Lumber Like Your Daddy DidLauderdale Lumber Co.
- Racheal Woodis a Deerfield Beach stay-at-home mother who, at last year's Hawaiian Ironman World Triathlon Championship, won the title for 40- to 44-year-olds. She's a member of the Runner's Depot Elite Racing Team.
- Best Playground Best Beach in Palm Beach Best Beach in BrowardJohn D. MacArthur Beach State Park Topeekeegee Yugnee Park
3300 N. Park Rd.
954-985-1980 Lake Worth Municipal Beach and Fishing Pier
10 S. Ocean Blvd.
Lake Worth 33460
561-533-7367 Fort Lauderdale Beach
- Best Place to JogThe path next to the canal in Palm Aire
- Best Place to RollerbladeFort Lauderdale Beach
- Best Kids' ThrillTwisty the Clown (Gary Cardonick)
- Best Place to GambleThe University of Miami Hurricanes Football Team Dania Jai-Alai
- Best Miami Dolphins PlayerRicky Williams
- Best Place to Prepare for RevolutionBig Al's Gun Range
- Best Place to HikeRoyal Palm Beach Pines Natural Area
- Best Park in Palm BeachJohn Prince Park
- Best Place to Ride a BicycleFrom the Deerfield Pier to the Lake Worth Pier
Readers Choice: Quiet Waters Park
- Best Pro AthleteJason Taylor
- Best Place to Hang with GatorsShark Valley
Everglades National Park
- Best Player on the Marlins PayrollMike Hampton
- Best Golf CoursePalm Beach Par 3 Golf Course
- Best Tennis CourtsWest Lake Park
- Ten Best Happy Hours in Broward County
- Ten Best Brunches in Delray Beach
- Ten Best Brunches in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Delray Beach
- Ten Best Restaurants in Hollywood
- Ten Best Romantic Restaurants in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best Bagels (and Bialys) in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Five Best Ramens in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Boca Raton
- Ten Best Healthy Restaurants in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best South Florida Food and Drink Lists of 2014
- Ten Best 2015 New Year's Day Brunches in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best Kosher Restaurants in Broward and Palm Beach Counties