BEST OF BROWARD/PALM BEACH® 2003
But that fare isn’t real enough for you, dear reader. We don’t believe reality can be found in a television. Rather, we contend it’s right here in South Florida, where the summer heat’s just starting to crank up and you are desperate for some way to distract yourself from the subtropical inferno.
So in this, our fifth Best of Broward-Palm Beach issue, we deliver more than 290 reality bytes. There’s a strip joint in West Palm Beach where $30 filets are served on linen tablecloths. An earthy lesbian bar where the women dress like men and do karaoke — sometimes using microphones that look a lot like dildos. A joint in Davie where you can find used video games for a mere five bucks. And a Hollywood restaurant once visited by Al Capone where the cook makes rabbit-shaped pancakes for kiddies.
We’ve also interviewed some of the people who make this place real. The top restaurateur, a political wheeler-dealer, and an ironwoman who rode 112 miles on a bike, ran a marathon, and swam more than two miles — all in record time. Hell, if they can find time to watch reality TV, whatinhell are you doing with your day?
We are also proud to announce - no self promotion intended -- that we are, well, the best friggin' alternative newspaper in the American Southeast, according to our colleagues.
New Times writers have been cited in national, regional, and state competitions for more than 30 stories, columns, and parodies this year. Our staff did better than any other publication in the weekly category of the Society of Professional Journalists Green Eyeshade awards, which cover the 11 southeastern states. Writers Eric Barton and Susan Eastman took first places in business and breaking news categories, columnist Bob Norman grabbed two seconds in serious commentary and investigations, and associate editor Ted B. Kissell came home with a second in sports commentary.
Editor Chuck Strouse will be honored later this month as the nation's best alternative newspaper columnist at the convention of the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies. And, in an unprecedented finish, three New Times staffers - Norman, Olson, and Kissell - were all honored as finalists for the Medill School of Journalism's prestigious John Bartlow Martin Award for Public Interest Magazine Journalism. (The winner in that competition, by the way, was Miami New Times.)
Barton, Eastman, Norman, Olson, Strouse, and art director Michael Shavalier are also finalists in ten different categories in a contest run by the Florida Press Association's Better Weekly Newspaper Contest. The winners will be announced later this month.
So rip open the following pages. Read to your heart’s content. And what the hell? Turn on the tube.
Find more Best of Broward-Palm Beach® winners:
- Best Group Art Exhibition"Reality and Figuration: The Contemporary Latin American Presence"
- Best Movie Theater
- Cynthia Milleris director of the innovative Art and Culture Center of Hollywood
- Best Supporting ActressLisa Morgan
- Best Supporting ActorDavid Kwiat
- Best ActressAlicia Roper
The Last Schwartz
- Best Children's Theater
- Best DirectorRafael De Acha
- Best LoungeKarma Lounge
- Best Place to Follow the LiterLefty's Wings and Raw Bar
- Best Bar on the WaterHouston's Pompano Beach
- Best Place to Dance on a BarCapones
- Best Place to Relive College DaysThe Cove Restaurant and Marina
- Best Lesbian BarJ's Bar
- Best DJWendel Marcisse
- Best Dance Club in BrowardZubar
- Phil Kappesmanages his father's popular sandwich place, Spada's Original Hoagies, in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
- Best Caesar SaladDelacaseas
- Best RibsWings N Curls
- Best FalafelSawaf's Restaurant
- Best Chili84 Diner
- Best Bread in a BasketAruba Beach Cafe
- Best Cheap BreakfastTurkish-American Restaurant
- Best Place to Eat BuffaloErnie's Restaurant
- Daniel Roseis owner of Daniel Rose Shoes, purveyor of Fort Lauderdale's showiest platforms and spikes
- Best Thrift StoreThink Thrift
- Best Mall in Broward12801 W. Sunrise Blvd.
- Best Record/CD StoreBorder's Books Music & Café
- Best TattooStevie Moon Tattoo
- Best Vintage Clothing StoreLucille's Consignment
- Best Liquor StoreCrown Wine and Spirits
- Best Day SpaThe Spa at the Breakers
- Best Kids' ThrillTwisty the Clown (Gary Cardonick)
- Best Place to GambleThe University of Miami Hurricanes Football Team Dania Jai-Alai
- Racheal Woodis a Deerfield Beach stay-at-home mother who, at last year's Hawaiian Ironman World Triathlon Championship, won the title for 40- to 44-year-olds. She's a member of the Runner's Depot Elite Racing Team.
- Best Miami Dolphins PlayerRicky Williams
- Best Marlins ProspectJosh Beckett
- Best Place to RollerbladeFort Lauderdale Beach
- Best Place to Prepare for RevolutionBig Al's Gun Range
- Best Rescued EvergladesArthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge
- Best Park in BrowardEasterlin Park
- Best Playground Best Beach in Palm Beach Best Beach in BrowardJohn D. MacArthur Beach State Park Topeekeegee Yugnee Park
3300 N. Park Rd.
954-985-1980 Lake Worth Municipal Beach and Fishing Pier
10 S. Ocean Blvd.
Lake Worth 33460
561-533-7367 Fort Lauderdale Beach
- Best Place to SnorkelPompano Drop-Off
- Best Swimming PoolThe Fitness Co.
- Best Florida Panthers PlayerOlli Jokinen
- Best Player on the Marlins PayrollMike Hampton
- Best Golf CoursePalm Beach Par 3 Golf Course
- Best Pro AthleteJason Taylor
- Best BoatingHillsboro Inlet
- Best Park in Palm BeachJohn Prince Park
- Best Tennis CourtsWest Lake Park
- Best Miami Heat PlayerEddie Jones
- Ten Best Waterfront Restaurants in Broward County
- Ten Best Taco Tuesday Deals in Broward and Palm Beach
- Ten Best Happy Hours in Palm Beach County
- The Ten Best Dad Bars in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best Happy Hours in Broward County
- Ten Best Brunches in Delray Beach
- Ten Best Brunches in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Delray Beach
- Ten Best Restaurants in Hollywood
- Ten Best Romantic Restaurants in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best Bagels (and Bialys) in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Five Best Ramens in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
- Ten Best New Restaurants in Boca Raton