Best Near-Death Experience Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach 2006 - Hurricane Wilma Generator Survivors
After Wilma clobbered us and the electricity went dead, some folks' reasoning, logic, and judgment went right out all those open windows. How else do you explain the guy found in his Hollywood apartment on November 5, unconscious and barely alive, next to a portable gas-filled generator? Or, on that same day, the Lake Worth family who allowed their generator to blow its exhaust back into their mobile home? But the luckiest death-cheater of all has to be 7-year-old Freolon Castro, who suffered second- and third-degree burns on November 1 after he helped his grandmother refuel a running generator while he was holding a lighted candle so she could see better. There's a lesson here, obviously, a crystal-clear lesson: Whatever you do, never listen to Grandma, especially when she hands you a candle while she's holding a can of gas. Sometimes age doesn't bring wisdom.