A Sort of Beercoming
Sure, downtown Fort Lauderdale transforms into a fun drunk fest for major holidays such as St. Pattys and Halloween, for any weekend, for post-Wednesdays kickball practice. But at only one special juncture every year does the land of liquor and ladies turn into a smorgasbord of top-quality domestic and imported microbrews, specialty ales, and lagers. And thats at New Times Beerfest.
It was born 13 years ago. And its always improving. This year, there will be more rest-rooms, more space, and most important, more beer. There will be live performances from Community Property, which won the New Times Battle of the Bands, and from the U2 tribute band UV. Free food will be provided by Moes Southwest Grill, Duffys Sports Bar, and Millers Ale House, among others. The VIP area will be in the Museum of Discovery and Science. This privilege comes with a view: VIP drinkers can roam a 5,000-square-foot balcony that overlooks the entirety of Beerfest.
For newbies, here are a few original beer commandments:
(1) You shall not bear door prices if you purchase tickets online beforehand its $25 in advance and $35 at the door. For VIP, its $75 early and $85 at the door.
(2) You shall find Beerfest without difficulty. Esplanade Park is located at 20 N. New River Drive in Fort Lauderdale. Think toward where the historic Second Street meets SW Third Avenue.
(3) You shall not be late to Beerfest. Youll drink from 7 to 11 p.m. the whole time.
(4) You shall not make any plans the day after Beerfest because at Beerfest, you wont refuse any of the craft breweries. There are more than 50 of them.
(5) And if you happen to remember this Saturday, youll keep whatever memory of it holy.
More direction can be found at NewTimesBeerfest.com or by calling 954-233-1587 but to purchase tickets over the phone, dial 888-877-8499.
Sat., April 17, 7 p.m., 2010
Get the Things to Do Newsletter
Find out about upcoming events and special offers happening in South Florida.