Bring the beef, garlic, bay leaves, onions, salt, and 6 cups water to a boil in a 6-qt. dutch oven.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the brisket is tender about 3 hours.
Remove pot from heat and let brisket cool, uncovered.
Transfer brisket to a cutting board; shred with your fingers.
Roughly chop meat; transfer to a bowl.
Mix in the cheese, lime juice, cilantro, chipotles, scallions, and tomatoes.
Season with salt and pepper.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Serve the salpicón wrapped in tortillas and topped with paprika and avocado slices.
• 2 lb. flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed
• 1 bay leaf • 2 smashed cloves garlic
• 1 large sliced onion
• 1 tbsp salt • 6 cups of water
• Cook on low heat for about 3 hours
• 3 finely chopped tomatoes
• 1?4 cup fresh lime juice
• 1?4 lb. cubed jack cheese
• 1 tbsp salt
• 1 tbsp. chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
• 1?4 cup finely chopped cilantro
• 4 chopped scallions
• Warmed corn tortillas
• 1 sliced avocado • Sweet paprika