20 Pleas to Beings for a Permanent Reunion -- Record Release at Laser Wolf on Saturday
Last year, when we named Beings' debut one of the Best Local Albums of 2010, we were convinced that these guys were on their way to worldwide noise-pop-rock domination. Less than half a year after we labeled them the best, they broke up. Their breakup had nothing to do with "creative differences" or even interpersonal beef; it seems that they just couldn't be Beings anymore.
The award-winning folks at Discosoma Records don't seem to mind that these guys and gal are no longer actively rocking, so they are releasing the last batch of songs on a limited glow-in-the-dark seven-inch. As human people who know that the economy sucks and the record business ain't what it used to be, we're prone to wonder -- why would someone spend money to release a record by a band that ain't gonna promote it? We know why, by the way. These four songs are catchier, tighter, and wilder than their first release. Plus, engineer/Torche bassist Jonathan Nunez captured every element of Beings perfectly. Check them out right here.
Enough edification! The event at Laser Wolf is sure to be a fun time, but it would have been better if they were playing a set. Like the old expression goes: You can drive your band to the show, but you can't make them play. We are not going to sit here and let these Beings rest in peace! We are going to give them 20 reasons they should start practicing again and play some shows, damn it!
1. We miss you; don't you miss us?
Foreigner w/ Cheap Trick and Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience
TicketsTue., Aug. 1, 7:00pm
Double Feature: Straight No Chaser/Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox
TicketsTue., Aug. 1, 7:30pm
Blondie & Garbage: The Rage and Rapture Tour
TicketsTue., Aug. 8, 7:00pm
Guns N' Roses: Not In This Lifetime Tour
TicketsTue., Aug. 8, 7:00pm
Lionel Richie: All The Hits With Very Special Guest Mariah Carey
TicketsThu., Aug. 10, 7:00pm
2. It'll be different this time, we promise. Whatever went wrong before, we can work on it.
3. Don't you realize you
are were a lot of people's favorite band?
4. Local-boys-gone-famous Jacuzzi Boys love you, and they tell the world!
5. Local-boys-gone-famous Surfer Blood loves you, and they tell the world!
6. If you have to drive far to play a show, we'll work a deal with the club/promoter so that they pay you extra for gas money, we promise.
7. You know, you don't have to play every week or every month, for that matter -- you can play twice a year!
8. Are you mad at us? Please take us back.
9. You still love music.
10. You are friends.
11. Do you know how hard it is to start a band that plays well with each other? It's really hard. You know this. Get back.
12. Remember the time that all the moms were slam-dancing to you guys at Sweatstock? What about them?
13. People want to put out your records.
14. People want to buy your records.
15. The world will not be the same without Ivan Marchena's spastic "woops!"
16. Your rhythm section is the most powerful engine south of Cape Canaveral.
17. Ten-minute sets beat 40 minutes of forgettable wimpy droning.
19. Sure, you'll go on and join other bands, but why not join this band again?
20. It won't hurt.
Beings' "Social Creep" EP-Release Party. 10 p.m. Saturday, December 10, at Laser Wolf, 901 Progresso Drive, Ste. 101, Fort Lauderdale. No cover. Click here.
New Times on Facebook | County Grind on
Get the Things to Do Newsletter
Find out about upcoming events and special offers happening in South Florida.