25 Amazing Facts About Engelbert Humperdinck
Hump on stage
Not only did he sing "Lesbian Seagull" for the end credits of Beavis And Butthead Do America, he's also sold over 180 million records around the world.
He was born with the boring name of Arnold Dorsey to a British dad and Indian mom in 1936, and today the Hump man commands the respect and admiration of millions.
He'll be strutting through the Hard Rock Live this Saturday, January 26.
Here are 25 amazing facts about the man who inspired Elvis to rock sideburns.
24. Grew up in a family of ten kids, with 7 sisters and 2 brothers
23. Didn't like his nose growing up
22. Born in Madras India, moved to Leicester, England at a young age
21. First sax cost 5 pounds, was difficult to blow
20. Got a standing ovation at a working mans club at age 17, decided to dedicate his life to singing, bought sheet music, sought music lessons
18. Used to hang out in Tin Pan Alley in London like a musical day laborer
17. Was a broke recording artist living in a flat with a little child and no royalties due
16. Used to appear on a weekly television show as Gerry Dorsey in his early career
15. Covered the Tom Jones song "Lesbian Seagull" which played for the end credits of the Beavis And Butthead Do America movie and was released as a single along with Red Hot Chili Peppers "Love Rollercoaster."
14. Had no idea who the real Engelbert Humperdinck was when he first heard the name
13. Got his name from his manager Gordon Mills, who also managed Tom Jones
12. Has sold over 180 million records
11. Once went number one in Belgium
10. Born 1936 in Madras, India
9. Jimi Hendrix played for him once on stage behind a curtain when Eng's guitar player didn't show up for a gig. They got along great
That's Engelbert on the far right with the cigar
8. Became a star in America when he appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show
7. Never had a rivalry with Tom Jones, he was a rocker, Eng was a balladeer
6. Made his debut in Vegas at the Riviera Hotel in Vegas, the marquee read "Dean Martin presents Engelbert Humperdinck"
5. Humpy bumpy lumpy dumpy was what Dean Martin used to call him. They used to hang out a lot
4. Met famous gangster-actor Edward G Robinson when he'd just started smoking Havana cigars and offered him one. Ed saud "Hey kid, that's a good cigar."
3. Made friends with Elvis backstage at a concert. Elvis gave him a big hug, and then grew his sideburns after meeting him
2. Parted ways with Gordon Mills shortly before he died, regrets never having made up with him over an argument
1. His son is now his manager
- Has never walked on stage drunk in all his life
- Has trained in martial arts
- Has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and has won a Grammy for "After The Lovin'"
- Performs 90 to 100 concerts a year around the world, and still gets cold hands and feels nervous before he hits the stage
Engelbert Humperdinck, Hard Rock Live (5747 Seminole Way), January 26, 2013, $49-$79, 7p.m.
1 Seminole Way
Hollywood, FL 33314
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.