Benefit Concert for Boise Bob and His Backyard Band's Lori O'Quinn This Saturday
Revered South Florida musicians and Boise Bob and His Backyard Band members Dan Hosker and Lori O'Quinn (AKA Tex Merlot) were greatly affected by a car accident this past May. Hosker is a hugely admired and much-loved South Florida music veteran and his medical condition remains tenuous. O'Quinn also was greatly affected financially by the incident, and both musicians have a long recovery ahead of them.
As the medical bills stack up, the time has come for all of South Florida's musical fans to step up and help members of Boise Bob and His Backyard Band, this year's New Times Broward Palm Beach Best Country Band.
This Saturday, the rest of the twanging, comical swampy act is hosting a benefit concert to help O'Quinn at Pompano Beach sports bar Play by Play. Longtime promoter Jessica Kross and others have teamed up to organize an evening chocked full of entertainment and tremendous raffles. On tap, the show will feature the return of dark-hued rootsy act Nightly Death Shade. This group, comprised of couple Michele Woofter and Marvin Hawkins, has been gigging lately with Scarecrow Jenkins' project Loxahatchee Sinners Union (another Best Of), and haven't performed as Nightly Death Shade for quite a while, so that will surely be a treat.
Additionally, renowned Dania Beach musician Charlie Pickett will be taking the stage. For those who have never seen him live, you better hustle and make it to this show. This man is a living legend amongst area musicians. He remains one of South Florida's most respected guitar players, and his unapologetic bluesy, rock and country fusion is something not to be missed.
There are a few other bands in store too, including the Eric Austin Trio, the Bikes performing with Boise Bob, Ian Hammon, and many special guest appearances.
TicketsSat., Oct. 22, 9:00pm
Us Cuba Democracy Pac Present Fieston Cubano- Risas Y Musica Para Cuba
TicketsSun., Oct. 23, 4:00pm
The Noise Presents Beartooth: The Aggressive Tour
TicketsSun., Oct. 23, 6:00pm
The Psychedelic Furs
TicketsSun., Oct. 23, 7:30pm
TicketsTue., Oct. 25, 6:30pm
Yes, we did mention raffles. Isn't great when being charitable is not only rewarding intrinsically but tangibly? See a list of just a sampling of all the spectacular prizes below.
We here at the New Times send our best wishes to the whole Boise Bob gang and we hope O'Quinn makes a butt-ton of money here. Empty out your pockets and clear out your ear drums for a seriously important fun night to support our local musical community.
- $100.00 Tattoo Gift Card
- Custom Skate Deck
- Brand New, High Quality Florida Bass Rod & Reel,
- Vintage Toys from Scott Taylor's AMAZING VINTAGE TOY BOX!
- $25 Gift Card to DSW Shoes
- 10 hours of graphic design (excluding website design) Autumn Elite
- original Art Work by Zoe Rae!
- a copy of Paul Gilberry's book "Focus vs. Vespa"
- Home made cookies by Jaida's Remarkable Cookies"
- $75 Gift Card from Guitar Center!!!
- Band Merch Packs from: To Be Hated, The Shakers, Everymen, And Slip and the Spinouts!! AND the Darling Sweets
- A gift card from Mikey Ramirez for Radioactive Records
- A Methodaires CD!!
- A Packet of Posters (These are KILLER) from Iron Forge Press
- Yacht chef Amira Esk is offering a 2 layer special occasion cake. This home baked, professionally decorated cake will be created for your specific needs. Serves 12-16
- $65 Value private Yoga Lesson from Irina Shlain
- Original Z-Cars '45
- Sealed Copy of Bruce Springsteen's LP Greetings from Asbury Park
- A Dean Guitar electric six string
- Charlie Pickett is donating one of his very own 12-string guitars
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.