"I wanna start off with Herbie Lovebug, he produced Salt-N-Pepa, Kid N Play, and a bunch of other artists, those two stand out in my mind. There's Kangol Kid from the group UTFO, they had that song "Roxanne Roxanne," he was the lead dude in that group, he's Haitian. You got a reggae artist by the name of Bigga Haitian, he came out years ago, roun the same time as Kangol Kid, but he was on a whole reggae thing, he's Haitian."
"Im tryin to go as far back to the beginnings as I can. More recently obviously Wyclef Jean and Pras of the Fugees. Harve Pierre who's Puffy's assistant, his right hand man, he's Haitian. You got the dude named Quddus, he was an MTV personality, he's of Haitian descent. Whoo Kid, he's Fitty Cents DJ and Tony Yayo who's part of the G Unit they're both Haitian. One of the biggest reggae promoters in south florida is Haitian, he's a low key dude, I'm not gonna say his name.
- Ricky St. Hilaire - he's an engineer you can research him he's done like a bunch of Busta's stuff and Tribe Called Quest.
- Billy Blue from down here he's Haitian, Redd Eyez, Haitian Fresh, Papa Duck, these are dudes that are not necessarily on the national level but on a regional level they known... then of course you got Mecca aka Grimo.
- You got Jon Vilma, he plays football for New Orleans, he's from Miami, so is William Joseph he used to play for the Giants, both Haitian.
- Marie Ferdinand she plays for the Los Angeles Sparks, she Haitian
- DJ Griot, he's on 99 JAMZ
DJ Quest he's on radio in Fort Meyers on WBTT.
- DJ Daddy Phats he's on the radio in West Palm Beach
- Majority of the niggas on Khaled's team they're all Haitian, yknow the whole Serious Promotions crew.
Zoe Pound, they definitely set the trend out here, locally, as far
as Haitians getting respect out here, I mean the music only reflect
what they lived socially yknow.
- Yo what's his name, Maxwell, word is he's haitian, like half haitian or somethin
- Oh you got my man Haitian Sensation he a boxer, he's out of West Palm
- Shit whats that niggas name? Andre Berto, he's a boxer, national level, he's managed by Dame Dash
- Actors and actresses we talkin Garcelle Beauvais, Jimmy Jean Louis he's the dude from Heroes on tv, both Haitian
- You got Edwidge Danticat she's a author, she's been on
whatchucallit, she's been on Oprah, yeah you know Oprah got that lil
book club shit
- I believe the Mayor of North Miami's Haitian, google that to double, but I believe he's a Haitian dude
- Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable, he founded Chicago
- You got that battle during the American Revolution that took place in Georgia, Haitian soldiers fought for that.
- I mean we was the first independent black nation, we set the precedent for that slavery shit to end y'know.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Catch Buggah on Island TV soon, he's got a tv show in production for Comcast channel 578, check out IslandTV.tv for more info. Anybody interested in a position as an intern, camera person, editor or host should call 305-919-7993.