Meek Mill Popped Up Out of Nowhere to Appear in Every Corner of the Hip-Hop World
Where in hell did Meek Mill come from?
Of course, we know the literal answer to that question: Mill was born Robert Williams, grew up in Philadelphia, and spent his rookie season as an MC under the wing of rapper T.I.'s Grand Hustle imprint before ultimately aligning with Ricky Rozay's Maybach Music stable.
The question has more to do with the 25-year-old rapper's sudden and very intense ubiquity. Meek Mill is absolutely everywhere. There he is, in the linen closet, in the breakfast nook, under the bed. The man will not stop until your media intake — and, really, your general experience as a human — is completely saturated by his very being.
Given that he's all over the place, you'd think we wouldn't be surprised to find him in some shocking spots, but here are ten places we definitely didn't expect to see Meek Mill.
10. Sharing the stage with Drake, Nicki Minaj, Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross, and Waka Flocka Flame. Williams was one of numerous rappers who made cameos during Drake's performance at the Ovo Festival in Toronto in early August. A quick scan of the guest list confirms Mill definitely collected the most piggyback points.
9. The courthouse. Our boy who lives in South Philly was leaving a court hearing for looting a water ice stand following a Phillies victory (or defeat, we can't remember), and guess who he ran into? Meek Mill! The artist was getting mad flack for rapping about Philly district attorney Noel Ann DeSantis, who promptly issued a motion ordering Mr. Mill to STFU.
8. A video on YouTube promoting his donation to an injured biker's stem cell surgery. Meek Mill is not only a philanthropist. He is also the most specifically generous rapper we've ever encountered. Which, BTW, is a trait that'll get you some traction on Google.
7. In the 'bloids, talking shit about Rihanna. Rihanna is obviously pop-rap-R&B-house's leading lady, which makes her the perfect target for Mill to talk about like a piece of meat.
6. Scrapping with Chris Brown and Drake. Turns out Meek was involved in the now-infamous melee that some observers think had to do with Drizzy Drake defending Rihanna's honor. Is there anything this guy doesn't have his hands in?
5. Scrapping with hip-hop's illuminati. Meek Mill is such a narcissist that he's even willing to take on hip-hop's illuminati. The rap music blogosphere recently was ablaze over Meek's snubbing of a West Coast "O.G." So brazen! The man's motto is: "All Meek, all the time." And just try to deny he's not on your mind at this very moment.
4. Starring in Mariah Carey videos. It's not his song, but Mill gets more camera time in the video for Mariah Carey's "Temptation (Get 'Em)" than Puffy in the video for the Notorious B.I.G.'s "Dangerous."
3. "Tupac Back." Occasionally, Meek does something directly and explicitly musical. Last year, his collaboration with the Bawse on "Tupac Back" consumed the airwaves.
2. The cover of The Source. In 2012, you don't even need to have a proper full-length out to make it on the cover of your genre's flagship publication. You just need to hang around Rick Ross long enough.
1. On the internet, saying his album has been delayed. We never saw it coming. But as soon as Meek Mill's camp reported that the rapper's debut album, Dreams and Nightmares, would be delayed, we knew there was no stopping the MC's inevitable superstardom. No buts about it: In rap music, your album getting pushed back means you're headed for the big time.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.