Moving Units: Radio-Active Records' Top 5 Releases for June 8-14
Local bros the Jacuzzi Boys not only have a winning album cover for the limited-run Bricks or Coconuts three-track vinyl (Ratatat's new one isn't bad either), but the title track is meant to be played loud, loud, loud. This is barbecuing music: two chords roaring out of a vintage amp, some tambourine jingling, and Gabriel Alcala's sun-kissed pipes. From what we hear from the Radio-Active folks, the supply is limited, and so is our patience for people who wait around and don't get out there to obtain what they want.
If all the reader wants is to find out what else got some serious scans over at Radio-Active, the recommended action is to read on.
Radio-Active Records' Top 5 Releases for June 8-14:
TicketsFri., Jan. 20, 7:00pm
Side by Side: A Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme Tribute
TicketsFri., Jan. 20, 8:00pm
The Last Waltz 40 Tour: The 40th Anniversary of The Last Waltz
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:30pm
SFSO - ÜBERMENSCH
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 5:00pm
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 6:30pm
1. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today (4AD) "Do believe the hype: APHG's new LP is a masterpiece. Taking cues from
70's AOR radio, a full band (first time), and working in an actual
studio, Before Today is the Fleetwood Mac meets 10CC hanging out with
Ace album drenched in middle-class LSD that you never heard. What does
that mean? Check out the album and hear for yourself! Drugs not included"
2. Ratatat - LP4 (XL) "Ratatat is right behind with the aptly titled LP4. Not sure if they
are pulling a Peter Gabriel or just lazy but expect more
electronic/guitar/fuzz that's a little more coherent without shedding
3. Jacuzzi Boys - Bricks or Coconuts (Mexican Summer) "Jacuzzi Boys creep in with their brand new 45 off of Mexican Summer
that's already flying out the door. Only 1,000 copies of this one
pressed, so you gotta move it before you lose it. You know how Mexican
Summer is; you can buy it now at retail or sell your car to pay for the
4. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening (DFA)
5. Washed Out - Life Of Leisure (Mexican Summer) "Sorry kids, the second press of Life of Leisure from Washed Out is gone. Might as well be called 'Sold Out.'"
Which albums will we be talking about next week?
"The Gaslight Anthem's American Slang (SideOneDummy), Foals' Total Life Forever (Sub Pop), Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Mojo (Reprise), Drake's Thank Me Later (Young Money), Oasis' Time Flies (Big Brother), and Devo's Something for Everybody (Warner Bros.)."
Get the Music Newsletter
Find out about upcoming concerts and special offers happening in the South Florida music scene.