Pazz & Jop: Liz Tracy's Picks for Best Music of 2013
Surprisingly, as a music editor, I don't get to listen to full albums all that often. I'm too busy doing the editing part to get caught up fully in that music bit. I did, though, spend December listening to album after album that came out in 2013 so I could contribute, along with 457 other music
nerds critics, in The Village Voice's annual 2013 Pazz & Jop Critic's Poll. I felt it was important to counter the Yeezus votes with Juicy J and Pharmakon. It just mattered to me. It's also a good idea to remind yourself what music makes your ass itch and which makes your titties tingle.
Click on to read which ten albums and which ten singles of last year I deemed awesome. I also added a brief explanation of my adoration on a few.
1. Deerhunter, Monomania
I would hand the world over to Bradford Cox if I could. Missing the point isn't his strong suit. The guitar is alive and well in this one.
2. Juicy J, Stay Trippy
Juicy J is just so badass. I'd probably vote yes on one of his farts.
3. Pharmakon, Abandon
Everyone thinks Yeezus was like an experiment in music or something. Someone please give Kanye this fucking album. From the second I pressed play on Abandon, I felt things. Like real things. I loved it; you may hate it. Either way, feelings.
4. Disclosure, Settle
Because this is so yes when so much electronic music is very no.
5. Thee Oh Sees, Floating Coffin
6. White Fence, Cyclops Reap
7. 2 Chainz, B.O.A.T.S. II: Me Time
8. A$AP Rocky, Long.Live.A$AP
9. The Knife, Shaking the Habitual
10. Neko Case, The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You
Disclaimer: 99 JAMZ is the shit. Also, these were mostly the songs I listened to on repeat all year.
1. Jay Z (ft. Rick Ross), "Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit"
This song is dance music.
2. Kendrick Lamar, "Poetic Justice"
At first, I couldn't get a grip on this song. I'm too all about the true Janet tune, but then, my inner millennial got into it in a real way. Keep on, Kendrick.
3. Rihanna (ft. Mikky Ekko), "Stay"
This is a beautiful song. Straight up.
4. Chris Brown, "Fine China"
R&B pop deliciousness complete with a tragically embarrassing video.
5. Wale (ft. Tiara Thomas), "Bad"
The squeaking bed on this track is nuts. I love the sorta gender-role switchoff here.
6. Rocko (ft. Future and Rick Ross), "U.O.E.N.O."
If you don't get it, I cannot help you.
7. Drake (ft. Majid Jordan), "Hold On, We're Going Home"
Drake really made a lovely love song you can groove to here.
8. Ace Hood, "We Outchea"
Fort Lauderdale! I want more Ace Hood hits!
9. Rich Homie Quan, "Type of Way"
This song should encompass your entire being when it plays on the radio. It's got the stuff of '90s dancehall hits.
10. Ellie Goulding, "Lights"
Because it puts a decent house sound on mainstream radio.
There ya go!
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Toby Keith, the Antithesis of Bro-Country, Plays Perfect Vodka Amp., Sunday Night
Fri., Aug. 7, 8:00pm
Fri., Aug. 7, 11:00pm
Sat., Aug. 8, 8:00pm
Sat., Aug. 8, 8:00pm
- TWRK Will Help You Get Dirty at Mad Decent
- Five Things to Do Under $6 This Weekend