Steve Klein, Formerly of New Found Glory, Arraigned on Charges of Lewd Conduct with a Minor Under 14 UPDATE
Update: Both New Found Glory and Steve Klein's attorney respond.
We lamented the dismissal of guitarist and lyricist Steve Klein from Coral Springs-bred pop-punk band New Found Glory last December. We even called him one of the most influential figures of the genre.
With the news today that Klein was arraigned in a San Luis Obispo, California, court on multiple felony charges of lewd conduct with a minor, it's all become clear why his former bandmates might have wanted some distance from him.
Klein pled not guilty to all seven charges against him:.
Let's look at the horrific charges:
- Two counts of lewd conduct with a minor under 14
- Three of lewd conduct with a minor 14 or 15
- One of intent to commit a lewd act with a minor
- One of possession of child pornography
He's free until his next two court dates: March 20 and April 10. Idobi Radio broke the news today, and NFG have yet to comment on any of the blogs we read.
Late last night, NFG responded to this situation on Facebook with the following:
Upon our return from Warped Tour Australia, Steve made us aware of possible allegations that might be made against him. At that point, not knowing all the details, we made the decision to part ways in order for him to deal with these personal issues. Us 4 members of New Found Glory have given our entire lives to this band and will continue to do so. We've been able to play all over the world for the most amazing fans. We can't wait to get in the studio to make a new album and we can't wait to get back on the road! Just coming off the Parahoy cruise and a surprise show in our hometown we are more inspired than ever! Thank you so much to everyone around the globe for always sticking by us. The future is bright.
1. Steve Klein is not accused of having any lewd actual physical contact with any minor.
2. ALL charges against Steve are derived solely from online consensual video chats between Steve and some female strangers he met on an adult website. Steve believed the females were over the age of 18.
3. The females alleged to be "minors" in this case are not known females. This means that no one, not the prosecution, not the police, and not the defense, actually know who the females are and no one knows their true age.
4. The possession of child pornography charge is based solely on Steve allegedly "possessing" the videos of chats with the female strangers from the adult website.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.