Ten Reasons Why the Go-Go's Are Better Than the Bangles
It's been 30 years since the release of the Go-Go's debut album, Beauty and the Beat, and in celebration, the girls are heading back out onto the road. Labeled the "Ladies Gone Wild Tour" and knowing their history of raunchy backstage behavior, we're expecting debauchery.
For years, there has been an ongoing debate about who does it better, the Go-Go's or the Bangles? Well, in celebration of their upcoming tour, which includes a show at Hollywood's Hard Rock Live on August 7, we're siding with the Go-Go's.
View our reasons why the Go-Go's are better than the Bangles after the jump.
1. Belinda Carlisle was Playboy's cover girl in August 2001 . Say all you want about Susanna Hoffs being the hotter frontwoman, but let's be honest guys: In " Walk Like an Egyptian ," sultry eyes aside, she is way too skinny.
3. A young Rob Lowe was in their video for "Turn to You." Who doesn't love Rob Lowe circa early 1980s, fresh off the set of The Outsiders?
4. For a short period of time, Belinda Carlisle played the drums in L.A. punk band the Germs under the alias "Dottie Danger."
5. Jane Wiedlin is an ordained minister by the name "Reverend Sister Go-Go" and is available for weddings. I wonder what kind of vows she writes for the happy couples. Are they all made up of Go-Go's lyrics? What does she wear?
7. Drummer Gina Schock was in a band called Edie and the Eggs, a group put together to feature John Waters creation Edith Massey.
8. From Mannequin to Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the Go-Go's are a movie soundtrack favorite. Although not on an actual soundtrack, in an episode of The Office, Michael Scott sang a little bit of "Our Lips Are Sealed," and that's just amusing.
9. Belinda Carlisle's solo career was way more successful in comparison to Susanna Hoffs'. Included in this success was single "Mad About You," which featured a guitar solo by Duran Duran's Andy Taylor.
10. The Go-Go's are the first all-female band to play their instruments, write their own songs, and score a number-one album spot on Billboard's album charts. Beauty and the Beat hit the number-one spot on March 6, 1982, and held on tight for six weeks. The Bangles never achieved a number-one album spot on the charts.
The Go-Go's "Ladies Gone Wild Tour." 7 p.m. Sunday, August 7, at Hard Rock Live, 1 Seminole Way, Hollywood. Tickets cost $49 to $69. Click here.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.