100 Things to Do in Broward County Before You Die (# 80-61)
Yesterday, we started laying out our BroCo bucket list -- 100 things to do in Broward County until you kick the proverbial bucket. Today, we carry on! Here are numbers 61-80:
Photo by Ian Witlen
80. Crash a party at Rick Ross' mansion. Ricky Rozay may rap about the 305, but he lays his head in the 954.
79. Learn to cook iguana tacos. The green iguana is considered a pesky invasive species in South Florida. And iguana meat is a culinary tradition in Mexico and reportedly tastes pretty great in a taco. Parboil in saltwater, followed by roasting or stewing. (Kidding! Leave those iguanas alone! We bet their meat is gross!)
78. Hang with the witches. OK, so followers of the "Earth Religion" prefer being called "pagans" rather than "witches," but they're lots of fun, and their rituals often involve wine. See moonpathcuups.org.
77. Cycle at the velodrome. Velodrome racing in the 1800s was akin to NASCAR of today. Ride on the steeply banked oval track at Brian Piccolo Park -- one of only three in the southeastern U.S.
76. Find love at a "nerds singles mixer." If you're coupled up already, then just browse the wares at Tate's Comics and its upstairs Bear and Bird Boutique + Gallery.
Photo by Monica McGivern
75. Catch a Splatter-Rama double feature. Indie movie theater Cinema Paradiso sometimes shows underground horror flicks like The Toxic Avenger and Street Trash, plus other cool flicks year-round.
74. Smoke cigars and hunt cougars at Blue Martini. Just like Al Capone used to do!
73. Go-kart at Boomers! in Dania Beach.
72. See the spiders at Secret Woods. South Florida's alarmingly huge banana spiders (also known as the golden silk orb-weaver) weave giant, orb-shaped webs along the nature trails.
71. Switch the dial to pirate radio. Of the 50-ish pirate radio stations the FCC filed claim against in the past two years, more than 30 were located in South Florida. A slow turn of your FM dial will usually result in a handful of law-breaking -- and mind-expanding -- broadcasts.
70. Camp out at Markham Park.
69. Get naked! Check in at the Rooftop Resort, where it's clothing-optional. Couples day passes cost $40 on weekends. You can't unsee anything later, but that's the experience!
Photo by Alex Markow
68. Spend Record Store Day at Radio-Active Records. This April "holiday" begins with a line around the shop at 8 a.m. and ends 12 hours later with a huge party of local bands.
67. Tour Fort Lauderdale -- by gondola. Las Olas Gondola offers a luxurious homes and gardens tour, or "Lovely Romantico," which includes a message in a bottle. The gondolier provides Italian music, ice buckets, glasses, and a bottle opener. Go home and make some spicy meat-a-balls!
66. Master stand-up paddleboarding or kitesurfing.
65. Subscribe to a local alternative news source. If you really want to know what's going on around here, stick your nose in Broward Times, the Homeless Voice, the South Florida Gay News, and/or browardbulldog.org. But mostly, New Times.
64. Join a CSA (community-supported agriculture program). Always buy produce from your local farmers, like the Urban Farmer in Pompano Beach. Farm-fresh eggs are a party in your mouth!
63. Dine in the Dark. Market 17's waiters wear night-vision goggles to bring your food in a completely blackened room, where you proceed to eat with your hands. Try not to stuff chicken in your nose.
62. Make a boat friend and anchor at the sandbar at the mouth of the New River. Party in the thigh-deep water in the middle of the Intracoastal Waterway.
Photo by Ian Witlen
61. Watch the Winterfest Boat Parade -- from a boat.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- Rick Scott Declares State of Emergency as Tropical Storm Erika Approaches
Fri., Sep. 4, 11:30am
Fri., Sep. 4, 6:35pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 11:30am
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Kim and Kanye Pastor Rich Wilkerson Debuting Reality-TV Show
- Study: Fort Lauderdale Worst City in America for College-Educated Women to Date (Best...