Fort Lauderale PD Announces Memorial Day Road Closures
via Flickr/Elvert Barnes
Memorial Day weekend is almost upon us, and the Fort Lauderdale Police Department has announced road closures, in preparation for the Great American Beach Party.
They're also warning folks that they'll be out in force this weekend, making sure people don't act a fool.
Police will be erecting barricades throughout the city to restrict vehicular access in residential areas to "local traffic only." Residents who live in those neighborhoods will likely be asked for ID to be able to drive through the restricted areas.
The Great American Beach Party will kick off Saturday morning at 10 and will run until 10:30 p.m.
For that time, police will be closing off sections of Fort Lauderdale Beach and A1A.
Here's what you need to know:
- A1A will be closed from Las Olas Blvd. north of Castillo St. from 6:30 a.m. Saturday to 1 a.m. Sunday.
- Northbound traffic on A1A will be detoured west onto Las Olas, north on Birch Road, east on Bayshore Dr. and back north onto A1A.
- Alhambra, Seville, and Granada Streets will be open to local traffic only.
- Traffic jams and monster delays are expected from SE 17th St. north of Bayshore Dr.
via Fort Lauderdale Police Dept.
In addition to the road closures, the Fort Lauderdale PD announced that they'll be enforcing a "zero tolerance" policy when it comes to alcohol. Particularly, open booze containers out in the open are illegal in the city.
However, that policy will be lifted for those attending the Great American Beach Party on Saturday between the scheduled hours of 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
So, stay safe. Don't do anything dumb. And for your own sanity, try to avoid the above road closures.
Send your story tips to the author, Chris Joseph.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- Rick Scott Declares State of Emergency as Tropical Storm Erika Approaches
Fri., Sep. 4, 11:30am
Fri., Sep. 4, 6:35pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 11:30am
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Kim and Kanye Pastor Rich Wilkerson Debuting Reality-TV Show
- Study: Fort Lauderdale Worst City in America for College-Educated Women to Date (Best...