Four Florida State Parks in Top Ten for Fishing and Boating for Families
Photo by William Waterway via Wikipedia Commons
Five Florida locations -- four of which are state parks -- are ranked in the top ten places for families to boat and fish in America.
The list, put together by the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation, ranked 100 places around the U.S. and, pretty much a surprise to no one, Florida is right at the top of their list, with Everglades National Park coming in at Number 2.
The criteria for compiling the list are simple:
- Family-friendly location, defined as within an hour's drive of a major city or town, so they are easily accessible.
- Have a public body of water that is known for having plenty of common fish species such as bass, crappie, bluegill and trout. Often times these public places are stocked with fish for all.
- Part of a park that also offers amenities families need like parking, restrooms, playgrounds, picnic areas or campgrounds.
- via TakeMeFishing.org
Florida has long been a top destination for fishermen and boaters. Just last year, the Florida Park Service received its third National Gold Medal for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management.
And now, it's official.
Florida rocks when it comes to fishing and boating.
Send your story tips to the author, Chris Joseph.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- Dan Marino Appeared In A Hilarious Super Bowl Ad Last Night
- Six Ways Fort Lauderdale Has Changed for the Worse
- Deposition Shows Mismanagement, Lax Oversight Led to BSO Crime Lab Failure