Hollywood Teen Rape Suspect Insists He's Innocent Despite Taped Confession
Jayvon Woolfork, the lone suspect in the brutal gang rape of a Hollywood teen to not have taken a plea deal, had an outburst in court Thursday, demanding to see proof of his guilt. This despite the fact that he gave police a taped confession at the time of his arrest. Woolfork was offered a plea deal, but he responded by asking Broward Circuit Judge Lisa Porter why he should if he's innocent.
"What evidence do you have?" Woolfork said, as report by WSVN. "Where's the evidence at? Where's the DNA? Where's the so-called video they have? What evidence do you have? Let me know."
Woolfork also reportedly shouted out a string of obscenities.
When he was reminded of his taped confession, Woolfork said to forget that and demanded to be shown the evidence.
Last month, the four other teens arrested for their involvement in the rape, Patricia Montes, 17, and Erica Avery, 17, Lanel Singleton, 19, and Dwight Henry, 18, each took plea deals, and plead guilty to two counts of sexual battery and one count of kidnapping.
Avery and Montes were both sentenced to four years in prison. Singleton, meanwhile, was sentenced to four years in prison as a youthful offender plus two years of probation, while Henry was sentenced to two years in prison as a youthful offender, plus four years of probation and time served.
Singleton and Henry will also have to register as sexual predators.
But Woolfork, 20, who allegedly was the one who had sex with the victim, told the judge on Thursday that it would be "stupid" to take a plea if he's innocent.
In 2013, the four, who were all teens at the time, invited the victim to a house in the 1600 block of McKinley Street and eventually began demanding that she have sex with Woolfork, according to police reports.
When she refused, Montes and Avery attacked her and beat her. One of them smashed the girl's head against a concrete stoop and then threw her down a stairway. The victim had her clothes torn off and was dragged by her hair.
The victim reportedly begged the two girls to stop beating her, but the girls said they wouldn't stop until she agreed to have sex with Woolfork.
New Times chronicled the heinous crime in a feature story in March of last year. The attack was caught on a cell-phone video and uploaded to Facebook, where the victim was taunted by Montes, who wrote, "You're a hoe. Stop trynna act like a saint."
The New Times story detailed a moment where the girls said that the victim (who is called Jessica to protect her real identity) wouldn't be set free until she had sex with Woolfork:
"You're a pussy!" one of the blond girls shrieked, slamming both fists into Jessica's head. The surprised girl raised her arms to protect her face. "You're an asshole!" the blonds yelled. "You're a ho, and you're not leaving until you fuck Jayvon! Suck his dick, bitch!"
The girls grabbed Jessica and dragged her limp 75-pound form out the back door and down several concrete steps, where they continued to pummel her. Grabbing hold of Jessica's hair, they smashed her head into concrete. One of the boys asked what was happening, and another answered, "They don't like this girl, bro."
The beating continued until her eyes swelled shut and she bled from her ear, and she was dragged into the bedroom and held down by the others while Woolfork raped her, according to the police report.
The victim was taken to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, where she was treated for broken bones in her face and multiple bruises on her body.
Woolfork, who was 19 at the time of the incident, is facing a capital felony sexual assault and kidnapping charges.
As part of their deals, Henry, and Singleton agreed to testify against Woolfork.
Get the Things to Do Newsletter
Find out about upcoming events and special offers happening in South Florida.