I-95 Closed Through Pompano After Botched Bank Robbery (UPDATE)
A botched bank robbery, an injured Broward Sheriff's deputy, and a shot suspect has I-95 shutdown in North Broward.
According to Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King, the deputy crashed his car into the center median of I-95 northbound near Sample Road during a pursuit.
The deputy, taken to a trauma center via BSO helicopter, is reported to be in good condition.
Deputies received an 11:21 a.m. call of a bank robbery in progress at the Chase Bank on 2285 N. Federal Highway.
According to Broward Sheriff's spokesman Jim Leljedal, the officers followed the suspect onto the northbound lanes of I-95. During the pursuit, the deputy crashed his car, and the suspect was shot.
No word as of yet on the suspect's condition.
As of noon today, I-95 North is backed up to Cypress Creek Road. The I-95 South lanes remain open but slow, due to onlooker delays.
Alternate routes can be found via Powerline Road, State Road 7, University Drive, or Florida's Turnpike to the west of I-95 or Dixie Highway or Federal Highway to the east.
UPDATE (3:30 p.m.):
- The original blog post on this story reported that a civilian was shot and killed. That turned out to be erroneous. There were no civilians harmed. The bank robbery suspect was shot by deputies.
- The injured deputy was identified as 12-year veteran Detective German Bickbau, 48.
- The bank robbery suspect was confirmed dead.
- The suspect's name has not been released, though Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti says the suspect had a long criminal history dating back to 1977 and was wanted in connection to other bank robberies across the country. BSO believes he is the same robber who hit the Chase branch in May and June.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- No Marlins Players Showed Up to Event That Promised Fans They'd Meet Marlins Players
- Heather Hironimus Signs Consent for Son's Circumcision
- Naked Fort Lauderdale Man Rescued Off Raised Drawbridge