I-95 Closed Through Pompano After Botched Bank Robbery (UPDATE)
A botched bank robbery, an injured Broward Sheriff's deputy, and a shot suspect has I-95 shutdown in North Broward.
According to Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman Sandra King, the deputy crashed his car into the center median of I-95 northbound near Sample Road during a pursuit.
The deputy, taken to a trauma center via BSO helicopter, is reported to be in good condition.
Deputies received an 11:21 a.m. call of a bank robbery in progress at the Chase Bank on 2285 N. Federal Highway.
According to Broward Sheriff's spokesman Jim Leljedal, the officers followed the suspect onto the northbound lanes of I-95. During the pursuit, the deputy crashed his car, and the suspect was shot.
No word as of yet on the suspect's condition.
As of noon today, I-95 North is backed up to Cypress Creek Road. The I-95 South lanes remain open but slow, due to onlooker delays.
Alternate routes can be found via Powerline Road, State Road 7, University Drive, or Florida's Turnpike to the west of I-95 or Dixie Highway or Federal Highway to the east.
UPDATE (3:30 p.m.):
- The original blog post on this story reported that a civilian was shot and killed. That turned out to be erroneous. There were no civilians harmed. The bank robbery suspect was shot by deputies.
- The injured deputy was identified as 12-year veteran Detective German Bickbau, 48.
- The bank robbery suspect was confirmed dead.
- The suspect's name has not been released, though Broward Sheriff Al Lamberti says the suspect had a long criminal history dating back to 1977 and was wanted in connection to other bank robberies across the country. BSO believes he is the same robber who hit the Chase branch in May and June.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- Shots Fired Outside Club BAM Leaves Man Dead
- What's Open and Closed in Broward on Thanksgiving Day 2015
- Activists to Protest at Home of Monkey Importer UPDATED