Jayvon Woolfork Gets No Plea Deal in Hollywood Teen Rape Case
Jayvon Woolfork was not offered a plea deal per the victim's request, prosecutor says.
Jayvon Woolfork is the lone suspect in the brutal gang rape of a Hollywood teen not to have been offered a plea deal. Last month, Patricia Montes, 17, and Erica Avery, 17, took plea deals, and on Wednesday, Lanel Singleton, 19, and Dwight Henry, 18, also took plea deals, pleading guilty to two counts of sexual battery and one count of kidnapping.
Avery and Montes were both sentenced to four years in prison. Singleton, meanwhile, was sentenced to four years in prison as a youthful offender plus two years of probation, while Henry was sentenced to two years in prison as a youthful offender, plus four years of probation and time served.
Singleton and Henry will also have to register as sexual predators.
But Woolfork, 20, who allegedly was the one who had sex with the victim, was not offered a deal per the victim's request.
In 2013, the four, who were all teens at the time invited, the victim to a house in the 1600 block of McKinley Street and eventually began demanding that she have sex with Woolfork, according to police reports.
When she refused, Montes and Avery attacked her and beat her. One of them smashed the girl's head against a concrete stoop and then threw her down a stairway. The victim had her clothes torn off and was dragged by her hair.
The victim reportedly begged the two girls to stop beating her, but the girls said they wouldn't stop until she agreed to have sex with Woolfork.
The beating continued until her eyes swelled shut and she bled from her ear, and she was dragged into the bedroom and held down by the others while Woolfork raped her, according to the police report.
The victim was taken to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, where she was treated for broken bones in her face and multiple bruises on her body.
New Times chronicled the heinous crime in a feature story in March of last year. The attack was caught on a cell-phone video and uploaded to Facebook, where the victim was taunted by Montes, who wrote, "You're a hoe. Stop trynna act like a saint."
The victim requested Woolfork not be offered a plea deal since he was allegedly the one at the center of the attack.
"She's not vindictive, and she wasn't seeking a terrible resolution," prosecutor Maria Schneider said, per Local 10. "She is, however, very adamant that the young man who all of this allegedly was done for, or on behalf of, be subjected to a much greater punishment."
The Sun-Sentinel, meanwhile, reports that Woolfork was initially given an offer that he rejected. That offer would have had him serve 15 years in prison.
Woolfork, who was 19 at the time of the incident, is facing a capital felony sexual assault and kidnapping charges.
As part of their deals, Henry, and Singleton agreed to testify against Woolfork.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.