John Goodman House Arrest Ruling Will Come Next Week, Judge Says
In a Friday morning hearing, Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Jeffrey Colbath said that he will rule next week on whether John Goodman can be removed from house arrest, and have his ankle monitor taken off.
Earlier this week, Goodman's attorneys Doug Duncan and Scott Richardson filed the request after the polo mogul was awarded a new trial.
Goodman's lawyers also requested the judge to restore the $100,000 pre-trial bail their client received before a jury convicted him of DUI manslaughter in March after he got drunk, got in his car, ran a stop sign, and then killed 23-year-old college student Scott Wilson.
Assistant State Attorney Alan Johnson, however, argued that the bond amount was permissible because Judge Colbath overturned Goodman's conviction based on a juror lying during pre-trial interviews, and not actual the facts in the case.
According to the Palm Beach Post, Colbath seemed to agree with the prosecution, saying that the new trial "didn't contaminate the body of evidence produced at the trial."
At the time of the accident that killed Wilson, Goodman's blood-alcohol level was recorded at .177, more than twice the legal limit.
In addition to requesting the removal of house arrest and the ankle monitor for Goodman last week, Goodman's attorneys asked for lighter bond restrictions at his June 3 hearing.
For the moment, Goodman is allowed to frolic in his 160-acre complex in the International Polo Club under house arrest -- with one hour of outdoor exercise a day. He also has a sheriff's deputy guarding him 24-hours a day. Poor little lamb.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.