Judge Denies Buju Banton's Request for New Trial
Federal Judge James Moody on Tuesday denied Buju Banton's request for a new trial. In his decision, the judge wrote that there is no need for a new trial in light of an Atlanta appeals court's ruling that there was sufficient evidence to convict the reggae star on a gun charge.
Under the new ruling, Buju's sentence could be extended from ten years to 15 years.
Buju's attorney, David Oscar Markus, tells New Times that he plans on appealing the case again.
A federal jury found Buju guilty of three drug charges and a gun charge. During a sentencing hearing last June, Moody tossed the gun charge due to the fact that Buju had never met or spoke with James Mack, a guy who drove to Florida from Georgia with a gun his car to buy five kilos of cocaine from a confidential informant. It's unclear if Buju was aware that the drug deal was even taking place; he was hundreds of miles away from the actual drug deal when the DEA arrested him.
Markus tells New Times that a new sentencing hearing will be scheduled, but it's unclear when that will happen. We'll keep you posted as things develop.
Additional Buju Stories:
- Reggae Great Buju Banton Is Locked Up on Drug Charges. Was He Entrapped?
- Alex Johnson, Colombian Snitch in Case Against Buju Banton, Earned Millions From U.S. Government
- DOJ Continues to Press for Gun Charge Against Buju Banton
- Buju Banton's Legal Team Blasts Feds in Latest Arguments
- Buju Banton's Attorney: "We Had Ten Really Good Issues for the Appeal"
- Buju Banton's Appeal Pisses Off DOJ, Causes Government to File Its Own Appeal
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Black Bear Hunting Could Become Legal in Florida This Summer
Fri., July 17, 6:35 p.m.
Fri., July 17, 8 p.m.
Sat., July 18, 5:35 p.m.
Sun., July 19, 5:05 p.m.
- Activists Plan Candlelight Vigil at Miami Seaquarium Executive's Home
- Fort Lauderdale Tech Company Helps New Mexico with Marijuana Sales