Judge Denies Buju Banton's Request for New Trial
Federal Judge James Moody on Tuesday denied Buju Banton's request for a new trial. In his decision, the judge wrote that there is no need for a new trial in light of an Atlanta appeals court's ruling that there was sufficient evidence to convict the reggae star on a gun charge.
Under the new ruling, Buju's sentence could be extended from ten years to 15 years.
Buju's attorney, David Oscar Markus, tells New Times that he plans on appealing the case again.
A federal jury found Buju guilty of three drug charges and a gun charge. During a sentencing hearing last June, Moody tossed the gun charge due to the fact that Buju had never met or spoke with James Mack, a guy who drove to Florida from Georgia with a gun his car to buy five kilos of cocaine from a confidential informant. It's unclear if Buju was aware that the drug deal was even taking place; he was hundreds of miles away from the actual drug deal when the DEA arrested him.
Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets
TicketsSun., Oct. 22, 1:00pm
Florida Panthers vs Anaheim Ducks
TicketsThu., Oct. 26, 7:30pm
Florida Panthers vs Detroit Red Wings
TicketsSat., Oct. 28, 7:00pm
Florida Panthers vs Tampa Bay Lightning
TicketsMon., Oct. 30, 7:30pm
Florida Panthers vs Columbus Blue Jackets
TicketsThu., Nov. 2, 7:30pm
Markus tells New Times that a new sentencing hearing will be scheduled, but it's unclear when that will happen. We'll keep you posted as things develop.
Additional Buju Stories:
- Reggae Great Buju Banton Is Locked Up on Drug Charges. Was He Entrapped?
- Alex Johnson, Colombian Snitch in Case Against Buju Banton, Earned Millions From U.S. Government
- DOJ Continues to Press for Gun Charge Against Buju Banton
- Buju Banton's Legal Team Blasts Feds in Latest Arguments
- Buju Banton's Attorney: "We Had Ten Really Good Issues for the Appeal"
- Buju Banton's Appeal Pisses Off DOJ, Causes Government to File Its Own Appeal
Get the Things to Do Newsletter
Find out about upcoming events and special offers happening in South Florida.