Kayla "2 Drunk 2 Care" Mendoza Being Sued for Wrongful Death by Families of Victims
The families of the two women killed in the "2 drunk 2 care" accident have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Kayla Mendoza.
On November 17, 20-year-old Kayla Mendoza drove her Hyundai Sonata the wrong way onto the Sawgrass Expressway and crashed into a 2012 Toyota Camry, killing Marisa Catronio and a passenger, Kaitlyn Ferrante.
Mendoza, who was hospitalized after suffering serious injuries, had tweeted out "2 drunk 2 care" hours before the crash.
According to Brett Panter, an attorney representing Marisa Catronio's family, they want to know if Mendoza was served alcohol at a specific bar or restaurant.
"We want to find out if she was served alcohol somewhere, if she was doing drugs somewhere," he said. "We don't know that now."
According to a crash report by the Florida Highway Patrol, Mendoza may have been drinking prior to the crash. According to her own tweet, she was.
There were also references to smoking weed in her Twitter account.
Mendoza's family, meanwhile, told New Times that her Twitter had been hacked.
According to the lawsuit, in addition to compensation for pain and suffering, the families are asking for compensation for medical expenses and funeral expenses.
The owner of the car Mendoza was driving that night, Federico Javier Reyes Santiago, was also named in the suit.
Send your story tips to the author, Chris Joseph.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.