Let's check out the local headlines:
- First degree murder charges for 16-year-old Berenice Juarez, accused of stabbing to death her mother's boyfriend, Gilardo Ramos Paz, in the parking lot of a Winn Dixie in Delray Beach. Paz was reportedly married, with a wife and five children in Guatemala. Reporter Derek Hayward found plenty of neighbors willing to speculate on what drove Juarez to murder. [WSVN]
- A Davie Town Council member decries all the "bull" that's being said about the city's purchase of trailer park land from politically connected developer Austin Foreman. Oh, one side is definitely full of bull all right. [Sun-Sentinel]
- Most of the treatment for 15-year-old burn victim Michael Brewer will be paid by insurance, after all. So thanks to the outpouring of donations, it looks like the family will have plenty of financial security going forward. [Sun-Sentinel]
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Lois Frankel's reign in West Palm Beach may not be over as soon as her critics had hoped. A charter review board, with members she appointed, will discuss extending a provision that is due to end Frankel's term as mayor next year. [Palm Beach Post]
- The Broward Teachers Union has filed a lawsuit against the school district, alleging that district officials are using spam filters to block the union's efforts to contact school board members. [Miami Herald]
- We mentioned the possibility last week, but now it's official: The Palm Beach Princess is taking a voyage to Haiti. But with a replacement ship on the way, gamblers won't be left high and dry. [WPBF-25]