Morning Juice: Couple Arrested in Davie Woman's Murder; School District Asks for Tax Hike
Your daily tour of the local news:
- Davie police have arrested two homeless women after they confessed to the murder of Jill Dornbush, who worked at a local McDonald's. The 62-year-old allowed Delia Padron and Lazard Falcon to stay at her home but wouldn't let them use the shower, which led to a struggle in which Dornbush was killed. [WSVN-7]
- During an economic downturn that brought us the "staycation," homebodies have led to more eyes on the street and neighborhood watches that according to Hollywood Police Chief Chad Wagner is part of a decrease in home break-ins. [Miami Herald]
- West Palm Beach commissioners are questioning the logic of an incentive program by police through which officers get $15 for every Breathalyzer test they perform. (There's no such incentive for drivers to get a Breathalyzer tests.) [Palm Beach Post]
- With a $130 million hole to fill in its budget, the Broward County School District is seeking a hike in property taxes among other measures to restore balance to its books. [Sun-Sentinel]
- Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum has joined with other states bordering the Gulf of Mexico to demand that BP, the company responsible for the massive spill, commit in writing to paying the clean-up and legal costs that come with it. [Palm Beach Post]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- Marijuana Decriminalization Still Being Weighed by Broward County
Fri., Sep. 4, 11:30am
Fri., Sep. 4, 6:35pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 11:30am
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Blue Martini Boca Raton: Lawsuit Over Fight in VIP Section
- Is Someone Cutting Cats in Half With a Knife in Palm Beach County?