Morning Juice: Crist Talks Rothstein; Cops Charged in Riviera Beach
It's Friday. If you are not hung over from your holiday party, then I offer my grudging congratulations. Here are the headlines:
- Those of you who suspected Scott Rothstein was a crook before he got busted, well, you must have a "crystal ball." So says Gov. Charlie Crist, who would like to borrow that crystal ball. He asked Sun-Sentinel reporters. "Should we distance ourselves from somebody because there's a lot of 'talk'?"
- Tamarac residents will elect a new mayor today. All write-in votes for "the dude with the gun" will be counted toward Edward Portner. [Miami Herald]
- Three Riviera Beach cops were charged with a bunch of crimes. William Dodson, for instance, got bombed at a retirement party, then cut himself about 100 times with a box cutter, beat himself with a hammer, and fired his gun at nothing in particular. Must have been some party! [Palm Beach Post]
- A Boca Raton woman has been charged for negligence in the deaths of her 11-year-old daughter and her daughter's 12-year-old friend, who were left in an SUV that was running inside a garage. They died of carbon monoxide poisoning. [WPLG]
- You can have a home for half-price, thanks to the city of West Palm Beach, which is trying to revitalize Coleman Park. Also, you can have a home for half-price anywhere in Florida, thanks to the collapse of the housing market. [WPBF]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Broward / Palm Beach, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.