Morning Juice: Fight Over Palm Beach Tycoon's Fortune; Davie Teen Narrowly Survives Shooting
The news round-up for South Florida this Thursday morning:
- A son of Fred Keller, the deceased Palm Beach real estate tycoon and all-around SOB, is hoping to get some small portion of his abusive father's estate after he says it was drained by greedy attorneys. [Palm Beach Post]
- In an effort to balance the Broward County School District budget, five Broward public elementary schools have laid off their art teachers and three have ditched their music programs. In all, roughly 120 of 140 public schools have made cuts to their elective programs. [Sun-Sentinel]
- A 17-year-old from Davie, Zack Wescourt, is lucky to be alive following a gunshot to the chest by a family friend who had a felony record. Davie Police believe it was an accidental shooting. [WPLG-5]
- Dr. Steven L. Kaplan, the psychiatrist who prescribed mental health medication that was said to cause the death of a 12-year-old autistic boy has had his medical license suspended. [Miami Herald]
- Guilty pleas in an FBI sting case for a group of prison guards from Glades Correctional who agreed to transport cocaine to Miami. [WPBF-25]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- Should Joe Philbin Be Fired if Dolphins Lose to Jets in London?
Sat., Oct. 17, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 10:00am
Sat., Oct. 17, 6:00pm
Wed., Oct. 21, 8:00pm
- Florida's Bear Hunt Can Begin October 24, Judge Rules
- Pro-Life Group Launches Campaign to Have Rick Scott Defund Planned Parenthood