Morning Juice: Grandmother Killed by Deputies in Pompano Beach; St. Patty's Day Parade Brings Big Shots to Broward
Let's see what's happening in Palm Beach and Broward counties this Monday morning:
- A drug raid around midnight Saturday by Broward Sheriff's Office led to a deadly shooting after the owner of a suspected drug house, Brenda Van Zwieten, 52, brandished a gun. Van Zwieten's family says she wasn't a drug dealer. [WSVN-7]
- Students and faculty at Bak Middle School for the Arts in West Palm Beach are mourning the loss of Tom Conboy, a popular physical education teacher and coach who died of kidney cancer. [Palm Beach Post]
- Florida educators are at the mercy of Florida's Republican Legislature, which wants to change the standards for evaluating their job performance. [Miami Herald]
- Fort Lauderdale's St. Patrick's Day parade brought out some of the state's leading political celebrities, like nothing we've seen since they put Scott Rothstein in jail. [Daily Pulp]
- The Bahamas Celebration will be the first multiday cruise ship to leave from the Port of Palm Beach when it sets sail today. [Palm Beach Post]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- Rick Scott Declares State of Emergency as Tropical Storm Erika Approaches
Fri., Sep. 4, 11:30am
Fri., Sep. 4, 6:35pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 11:30am
Sat., Sep. 5, 7:00pm
- Kim and Kanye Pastor Rich Wilkerson Debuting Reality-TV Show
- Study: Fort Lauderdale Worst City in America for College-Educated Women to Date (Best...