Morning Juice: On Back to School Day, a Lesson From the Supercool Beas
It's Monday, and this week you can concentrate on your own "tropical depression."
- Especially if you're a South Florida student, where according to the Miami Herald's Patricia Mazzei, you can look forward to a "no frills" school year, due to budget cuts at school districts. Not in Broward, though, where according to Pulp, Heron Heights Elementary never needed to be built, meaning that it's a $30 million frill.
- A man was shot dead outside El Toro Loco in West Palm early this morning. So early that it looks like police may have a hard time finding a witness.
- The "body-slamming thief" we told you about last week appears to be the man who was shot yesterday, after allegedly making yet another trip to the same Dixie Way store in Pompano Beach that was robbed four times. The Miami Herald's Diana Moskovitz has story along with video, which shows the stick-up and the body slam.
- The Heat's Michael Beasley's on the Twitter, taking photos of himself. The Sun-Sentinel's Ira Winderman canvasses opinion from around the 'net about whether the plastic baggies on the star forward's coffee table could be illegal substances, but he ignores the most indisputable evidence of drug use: getting "Supercool Beas" tattooed across your back.
- In their second preseason game, the Dolphins' "Wildcat" offense looked sharp against the Carolina Panthers, with Chads Pennington and Henne going a combined 18 of 27 for 180 yards.
Get the Things to Do Newsletter
Find out about upcoming events and special offers happening in South Florida.