Morning Juice: Stage Fright at Sun Life; Broward Commissioners Give Voters No Choice on Courthouse
As the weather slowly warms for the big game, let's see what the local headlines have to say:
- Sun Life Stadium had a mighty scare last night when a stage collapsed during a Super Bowl rehearsal, injuring four people. Not exactly the publicity that the folks at Sun Life had in mind when they ponied up the cash for the naming rights. [CBS4]
- A judge has dismissed securities fraud charges against Robert Jaffe, the Palm Beach snowbird and philanthropist who was an associate of Bernard Madoff. The SEC failed to produce enough evidence to convince the judge that Jaffe knew that Madoff was Ponzi scheming. [Palm Beach Post]
- Ted Deutch won the Democratic primary in the special election to replace Robert Wexler in Congress. But as of early Wednesday morning, the Republican primary remained too close to call, with Ed Lynch holding on to a 37-vote advantage. [Palm Beach Post]
- We all saw this coming: the Broward County Commission moved to build a new courthouse on the backs of taxpayers while not letting those same taxpayers vote on the thing. [Sun-Sentinel]
- Over on Pulp, Bob Norman's been slowly unraveling the story of how bartender Kim Wendell became Kim Rothstein wife to Broward's biggest Ponzi schemer. It's a fascinating read. Check out part one in the series here, part two here, and stay tuned for future installments.
- Rough week for pedestrians. We told you about the woman and her 10-year-old son who were struck while walking on the sidewalk in Lake Worth. Yesterday, a couple walking their dogs were struck in Weston by a driver who fled the scene, only to be caught. Finally, a 66-year-old woman and her 4-year-old grandson were struck by a car in Hollywood yesterday. [Sun-Sentinel]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Broward / Palm Beach, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.