Rebecca Sedwick Suicide: Parents of Charged Teen Say Daughter's Facebook Was Hacked
One of the teen girls arrested in connection to the suicide death of a 12-year-old Central Florida girl Rebecca Sedwick was ordered to remain in jail. The other girl, 12, was released into her parents' custody.
Polk County Police say the 14-year-old showed no remorse over Sedwick's bully-driven suicide and took to Facebook over the weekend, writing, "Yes, I bullied Rebecca and she killed herself but I don't give a fuck."
Now that girl's parents are claiming her Facebook account was hacked. That she is a "lovable," "caring" girl, and that they never saw any signs of bullying coming from her.
The parents of the 14-year-old sat down with ABC News on Tuesday and said they monitored their daughter's Facebook activity every night.
"I would check her Facebook every time she would get on it," the mother said.
The father added, "If we saw something that was not right, we would've addressed it and it would've ended right there."
The two suspects were arrested and arraigned on Monday. They've been charged with felony aggravated stalking.
Sedwick committed suicide in September after being cyber bullied for nearly a year.
Authorities say that she had been a victim of relentless cyber bullying by as many as 15 girls, who posted on messageboards online and through text messages that said she was worthless and that she should kill herself.
The attacks began around 2012, possibly over a boyfriend, according to police.
At first, the bullying was physical until Sedwick left Crystal Lake Middle School to be homeschooled instead. But the bullying followed her online.
Sedwick then changed her Facebook handle to "That Dead Girl."
On September 9, she climbed a tower at an abandoned concrete plant and threw herself off to her death.
But the parents of the 14-year-old suspect insist their daughter's Facebook was hacked. "We're sure of that," they told ABCNews.
"My daughter don't deserve to be in the place she's in right now, and I just hope that the truth comes to the surface so we can get out of this nightmare," the father said.
Meanwhile, the father of the 12-year-old suspect has taken a different and decidedly more sober outlook on the situation.
"I feel horrible about the whole situation," he said. "It's my fault, maybe, that I don't know more about that kind of stuff. I wish I did."
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- DOJ: Harlem Suarez, Inspired by ISIS, Planned to Bomb Key West and Miami
- Missing Teen Boaters: Moms on Today Show
- Wilton Drive Is a Death Trap