Sylvia Poitier, to the Surprise of No One, Won't Be Going to Jail
It looks like Sylvia Poitier's time at the Broward County Jail is limited to her quick photo-shoot back in April.
Poitier was sentenced yesterday to a year of probation, a $1,000 fine, 200 hours of community service for those four counts of falsifying public records she was found guilty of in November. Adjudication will also be withheld if she behaves while she's on probation.
Poitier, 76, was arrested in April on five charges of falsifying documents -- which were related to a loan from her brother to a city-tied organization -- although the fifth count was dismissed by the judge during the trial.
The five misdemeanor charges against Poitier were related to her actions after her brother's loan to the Westside Deerfield Businessmen Association.
According to her arrest affidavit, in May 2006, Poitier proposed sending a $30,000 grant to the Westside Deerfield Businessman Association -- the same agency her brother had loaned $46,000 to -- and then voted on the proposal without any disclosure of the relationship or filing of the necessary paperwork.
Poitier's daughter, Felicia Poitier, was also vice president of the WDBA since 1995, and Dan Poitier, a cousin of Sylvia Poitier's ex-husband, was executive director of the organization.
Both Felicia and Dan Poitier, as well as Ferguson, confirmed to investigators that this loan existed.
Sylvia Poitier then proceeded to vote to use that loan in a "limited partnership" instead of handing over federal grant money and further failed to file any conflict-of-interest documentation. At later meetings, she claimed not to be related to anyone involved in the matter, then eventually claimed he was her brother.
Below are some of Poitier's greatest hits from her friends at New Times from over the years -- and don't forget her appearance on this year's Dirty Dozen (and last year's):
- Poitier's Divine Tragedy
- Censure for Sylvia Poitier?
- Deerfield Vice Mayor: "I Don't Want to Get Caught Up Into Cyberspace." Yet Here She Is.
- Vice Mayor on Hit List for Deerfield Beach Hit Man
- Better Late Than Never? Sylvia Poitier Declares Conflicts of Interest
- Signs That Sylvia Poitier Is Turning District Residents Against Deerfield Commission
- Deerfield Beach Commissioner Admits Taking Past Payments From Charity Being Investigated
- The Sylvia Poitier Case for Dummies
Sylvia Poitier Found Guilty on Four Counts of Falsifying Public Records
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Deerfield Beach Swim Instructor Molested Six-Year Old Students, Cops Say
- Pembroke Pines Priest's Sexual Abuse of Boys Covered Up by Archdiocese of Miami,...
- Florida LGBT Families Still Waiting for Clarity on Gay Marriage