Recommended For YouPowered by SailThru

Tagged: A Glossary of Graffiti Terms

Ynot detailing a burner.
This week's feature, "Tagged," is the story of Jonathan "Ynot" Corso -- one of the most prolific members of Miami's longest-running graffiti crew, MSG, recently killed in a fight in a strip club parking lot.

We tried to write the story in the language of Ynot and his fellow crew-members. For starters, graffiti artists call themselves "writers" or "bombers". Here's an explanation of some more commonly-used graffiti terms:

Tag: The simplest form of graffiti -- besides maybe the self-explanatory "sticker"-- it's just the writer's scrawled moniker.

Throwie: A quickly-done bubble letter outline.

Fill-in: A throwie, but filled in with a second color.

Straight-Letter: As MSG member Quake explains it: "A clean and readable lettering style using 2 or more colors."

Blockie/Blockbuster: Large, readable block-style letters, often created using bucket paint.

Piece: Quake: "A more stylized version of the writer's name."

Burner: "The most stylized version of a writer's name, using many colors, characters, etc. -- 'pulling out all the stops.'"

Heaven: "One of the green highway signs, writers consider these to be high risk but also high reward, due to the high visibility. The front as well as the back is utilized." Last year, Kendall graffiti artist Merk fell to his death from a heaven.

Penit: "Abandoned building or structure used by writers to paint high quality straight letters, pieces or productions. The name 'penit' is unique to Miami. The outside as well as inside are often painted and repainted."

Popular Stories


All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >