Ten Times Richie Incognito Has Acted Like a Jackass
On Sunday, Richie Incognito finally broke his silence, post bullying-gate, when he sat down with good pal Jay Glazer of Fox Sports for an exclusive interview.
Glazer lobbed softball after softball and allowed Incognito a chance to tell his side of the story, which included revealing that he and Jonathan Martin had exchanged 1,142 texts over the last year that kind of hinted at proof that Incognito and Martin exchanged nasty texts as jokes. Incognito supporters took this as vindication for their guy. The texts jokey, you see. Which totally makes it cool for Incognito to call Martin a "half-n**ger" and threaten to kill him.
Fair point, we suppose. Except that, as mentioned above, Glazer is a good friend of Incognito, and the interview felt more like a PR move than a revealing exposé.
Then there's this: All the times throughout the years Incognito has acted like a jackass.
Sure, it's not 1,142 texts... but it is proof that Incognito has always been an awful human person. Here now, are 10 times Richie Incognito acted like an asshole:
10. That time he got into a fight at Club LIV in Miami Beach In August of this year, Incognito allegedly got into a fight at LIV. He and his friends got into a brouhaha with another man's friends. Incognito told cops he was just trying to break up the fight. He was let off with a trespassing warning.
9. That time he taunted his own fans after his team lost In 2008, while he was with the St. Louis Rams, Incognito taunted fans like a WWE wrestling villain as they booed him and his teammates. He apparently also mocked Rams fans before the game. As it was with the Dolphins, no one on the team confronted him on it (until it was too late).
8. That time he was arrested and charged with three counts of assault In February of 2004, while playing at the University of Nebraska, Incognito was arrested and charged with three counts of assault after being involved in a fight that broke out at a party. He was found guilty of one misdemeanor assault charge after a three-day trial, and was ordered to pay a $500 fine.
7. That time he was suspended from the University of Nebraska for being a dick Seven months following the arrest, Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan suspended Incognito for repeated violations of team rules
6. That time he went to Oregon because he was suspended by Nebraska and then got kicked out of Oregon After being suspended from Nebraska, Incognito enrolled at the University of Oregon. He was then kicked off the team by head coach Mike Bellotti, who didn't give specifics. He did say that Incognito failed to meet certain conditions he agreed upon before joining Oregon.
5. That time he was named "The NFL's Dirtiest Player" by fellow NFL players Natch.
4. That time he earned the "The NFL's Dirtiest Player" moniker from fellow NFL players In 44 games with the St. Louis Rams, Incognito racked up 38 penalties, including seven for unnecessary roughness. No other player got tagged for that many unnecessary roughness calls at that time.
3. That time he sexually harassed a woman at a Dolphins charity golf tournament. A 34-year-old Miami Shores woman working as a volunteer hole monitor for a Dolphins golf tournament says she was allegedly approached by Incognito, who "had been drinking and was acting very inappropriate towards her." Incognito then apparently used his golf club to touch her genitals, and knocked a pair of sunglasses off her head. He then leaned up against her buttocks with his own genitals, saying "Let it rain! Let it rain!" according to a police report. He then dumped a water bottle in her face.
Cops never did anything beyond write a report because the complaint amounted to a misdemeanor. According to Armando Salguero, the Dolphins actually paid off the woman to hush her up.
2. That time he called Warren Sapp the "N-word" during a game
1. That time he left a voice mail message for Jonathan Martin, calling him a "half ni***r," and threatening to kill him But, hey, 1,142 texts!
Send your story tips to the author, Chris Joseph.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.