Yahoo For Tiger
Did you see on Romenesko that New York Times sports business columnist Richard Sandomir criticized the 60 Minutes puff piece on Tiger Woods that aired this past Sunday. Sandomir did a good job, but he missed two things.
1. Ed Bradley gave Tiger not one, but two jovial fist bumps during the interview. That's got to be a first for 60 Minutes -- and a second.
2. What makes the whole Tiger/Bradley affair near-scandalous is that the segment was used to promote a new deal between the news show and Yahoo. After the love fest ended, the show touted the Yahoo/60 Minutes deal on the air. The Tiger segment also served as the inaugural piece of footage on the Yahoo site (oh, and Buick is all over this thing, too). It's so obvious. CBS had this big deal to announce and who better to promote it than Tiger Woods, the biggest sports superstar in the world? It's win-win, with only journalism ethics taking a hit.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss New Times Broward-Palm Beach's biggest stories.
- AAA Offering Free Towing Through Thanksgiving Weekend
- Florida People We Are Thankful For This Thanksgiving
- Shots Fired Outside Club BAM Leaves Man Dead