Yahoo For Tiger
Did you see on Romenesko that New York Times sports business columnist Richard Sandomir criticized the 60 Minutes puff piece on Tiger Woods that aired this past Sunday. Sandomir did a good job, but he missed two things.
1. Ed Bradley gave Tiger not one, but two jovial fist bumps during the interview. That's got to be a first for 60 Minutes -- and a second.
2. What makes the whole Tiger/Bradley affair near-scandalous is that the segment was used to promote a new deal between the news show and Yahoo. After the love fest ended, the show touted the Yahoo/60 Minutes deal on the air. The Tiger segment also served as the inaugural piece of footage on the Yahoo site (oh, and Buick is all over this thing, too). It's so obvious. CBS had this big deal to announce and who better to promote it than Tiger Woods, the biggest sports superstar in the world? It's win-win, with only journalism ethics taking a hit.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Black Bear Hunting Could Become Legal in Florida This Summer
Fri., July 17, 6:35 p.m.
Fri., July 17, 8 p.m.
Sat., July 18, 5:35 p.m.
Sun., July 19, 5:05 p.m.
- Activists Plan Candlelight Vigil at Miami Seaquarium Executive's Home
- Fort Lauderdale Tech Company Helps New Mexico with Marijuana Sales