100. Braised Eggplant at Sushi Bon
It's that time of year again when we count down to New Times' Best Of 2012 issue in June. Starting today, Clean Plate Charlie will serve up 100 of our favorite dishes. If you have any nominations of your own, please add them to the comments or visit our Facebook page.
When a bowl of Asian eggplant arrives, minuscule fingers from papery bonito flutter as if it were alive. Savory, salty, and sweet mark each delicious
bite of a dish that's braised in a soy and dashi broth. Dashi, or Japanese soup stock, is often made by soaking dried kelp, cured bonito flakes, and dried fish or shiitake mushrooms in water. The result is umami-rich and savory.
Vegetables are the starters at Sushi Bon, where regulars direct rookies from the laminated menu to specials on the whiteboard. Chef Ebi Hana's vegetable dishes such as this one are often as memorable as the fish.
Sushi Bon is one of the rare spots in South Florida that serves fresh-caught fish, straight from the boat. Read last week's review as to why the restaurant should be in a sushi aficionado's rotation.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Pembroke Pines' Aisha Thalia a Finalist in PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door Contest
- Florida Beer: Swamp Ape Double Black IPA From Florida Beer Company
- South Florida's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Beach Pawty, Delish 2015, Happy...
- Ben & Jerry's to Launch Beer With New Belgium and the Ice Cream BRRR-ito