42. The Fico Pizze Bianche From D'Angelo
We're counting down to New Times' Best Of Broward/Palm Beach 2012 issue in June by serving up our top 100 favorite dishes. Click here for a full archive. If you have any nominations of your own, please add them to the comments or visit our Facebook page.
42. The Fico Pizze Bianche from D'Angelo
Used sparingly, sun-dried figs give an earthy, sweet flavor to the fico pizza that can be found under the pizze bianche section of the tapas-style restaurant's menu. The oil from the figs perfumes the pie while stracchino (an Italian cheese) balances with a bite of salt. Part of what makes the pie so good is D'Angelo's talent with the dough. It's chewy and pliant, with a faint ring of char (char is flavor, and don't let the haters tell you otherwise).
When you want to go for high-brow stoner fare, ask for the
pizza topped with French fries (it's so much better than it sounds, and
then some). When something a little less ostentatious -- but still unexpected -- is required, this humble little pie is the trick.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Want to Own a Mobile Pig-Roasting Franchise? PigOut Catering Now Expanding to South...
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
- Florida Beer: St. Peter’s Saison de Banc Vert From Green Bench Brewing
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Tap Takeover, Pop-Up Dinner, and $3 Drinks