74. Pistachio Gelato From Pan'e Dolci
We're counting down to New Times' Best Of Broward/Palm Beach 2012 issue in June by serving up our top 100 favorite dishes. Click here for a full archive. If you have any nominations of your own, please add them to the comments or visit our Facebook page.
74. Pistachio Gelato from Pan'e Dolci
Though Pan'e Dolci specializes in cookies, tarts, cannolis, and Italian bread, when the weather is hot, it's a destination for gelato that's made in-house. Pastry chef Roberto Pacella helms the kitchen, earning cred as a baker at Gran Forno, at Settebello, and aboard Princess Cruise Lines.
When it comes to flavors, stracciatella, strawberry, and hazelnut are most tempting. Traditionalists go for pistachio. Just sweet enough, this creamy treat is laden with whole nuts to boot. With more yolks, more milk, and less cream than ice cream, gelato is dense, rich, and highly addictive. Don't let the numbers fool you. Just because it's 5 to 10 percent less fat than ice cream does not make it any less decadent.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Publix Offering Signature NFL Subs in Four Cities, Including South Florida
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
Thu., Jan. 14, 7:00pm
Tue., Jan. 19, 5:30pm
- Boatyard — Formerly Bimini Boatyard — Hosting Job Fair September 10 to 12
- Funky Buddha Brewery's Sweet Potato Casserole Is Out Today, Morning Wood Coming Next Week