86. Lentil Soup From Boca Skewers
We're counting down to New Times' Best Of Broward/Palm Beach 2012 issue in June by serving up our top hundred favorite dishes. Click here for a full archive. If you have any nominations of your own, please add them to the comments or visit our Facebook page.
86. Lentil Soup from Boca Skewers
Lentil soup is a simple standby in many Greek and Mediterranean restaurants -- a common starting point that stands between you and your platter of roasted lamb or any number of fire-kissed meats. But too often, the soup is thin and oversalted, tasting more like "hot ham water" than anything else.
The lentil soup at Boca Skewers -- which earlier this week got a little love for being one of the best choices for Mediterranean eats in South Florida -- is not the typical premeal throwaway. Smooth but hearty, the thick broth has a nicely spiced bite and a velvety texture that sticks to the ribs. Order a bowl with a side of hummus or the spinach pie and you've got a supercheap dinner that satisfies.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Win Free Chick-fil-A for a Year at Deerfield Beach Location's Grand Opening September 9
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
Thu., Jan. 14, 7:00pm
Tue., Jan. 19, 5:30pm
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Indian Cuisine, Late Nights, and...
- Florida Beer: Trapeze Monk Belgian Style Wit From Big Top Brewing Company