86. Lentil Soup From Boca Skewers
We're counting down to New Times' Best Of Broward/Palm Beach 2012 issue in June by serving up our top hundred favorite dishes. Click here for a full archive. If you have any nominations of your own, please add them to the comments or visit our Facebook page.
86. Lentil Soup from Boca Skewers
Lentil soup is a simple standby in many Greek and Mediterranean restaurants -- a common starting point that stands between you and your platter of roasted lamb or any number of fire-kissed meats. But too often, the soup is thin and oversalted, tasting more like "hot ham water" than anything else.
The lentil soup at Boca Skewers -- which earlier this week got a little love for being one of the best choices for Mediterranean eats in South Florida -- is not the typical premeal throwaway. Smooth but hearty, the thick broth has a nicely spiced bite and a velvety texture that sticks to the ribs. Order a bowl with a side of hummus or the spinach pie and you've got a supercheap dinner that satisfies.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Pembroke Pines' Aisha Thalia a Finalist in PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door Contest
- Florida Beer: Swamp Ape Double Black IPA From Florida Beer Company
- South Florida's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Beach Pawty, Delish 2015, Happy...
- Ben & Jerry's to Launch Beer With New Belgium and the Ice Cream BRRR-ito