97. Apfel Strudel at Josef's Table
We're counting down to New Times' Best Of Broward/Palm Beach 2012 issue in June by serving up our top 100 favorite dishes. Click here for a full archive. If you have any nominations of your own, please add them to the comments, or visit our Facebook page.
More than one commenter has recommended this deconstructed strudel. A staple on the dessert menu created by Josef Schibanetz, it nods to his Austrian heritage. Apples sliced paper-thin rest like layered ribbons. Plenty of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar sweeten phyllo sheets, while fresh whipped cream nestles between fresh berries. Delicate textures elevate this dessert from frumpy to elegant.
Josef and his wife, Beth, opened Josef's Table this past December in Boca Raton. It's the second iteration of the Josef's in Plantation that debuted in 2002. The restaurant shuttered to make way for a swankier spot with hardwood floors, an open kitchen, and copper accents in a white-tablecloth, fine-dining room. Nods to Western Europe seed to the menu, including renditions of high-brow goulash, Italian cioppino, and schnitzel. The wine list is a tour of Spain, Italy, Austria, and France.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Pembroke Pines' Aisha Thalia a Finalist in PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door Contest
- Florida Beer: Swamp Ape Double Black IPA From Florida Beer Company
- South Florida's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Beach Pawty, Delish 2015, Happy...
- Ben & Jerry's to Launch Beer With New Belgium and the Ice Cream BRRR-ito