A New Florida Tomato, Jose Andres' Food Truck, and Other Links
Hope your weekend was delightful. First up for this morning's links, see above for a new bar trick brought to our attention from Yardbird . Practice up for the weekend, and read on for this morning's roundup.
2. Among the disturbing weekend news, police are still searching for the gunman who shot two people at the
South Florida fairgrounds in West Palm. Saturday night around midnight, a
man shot two juveniles, prompting an hourlong lockdown to prevent
thousands of people from leaving the fair. The two victims did not
suffer life-threatening injuries. The gunman was described as a man in
debuting not one but two food trucks, one in D.C. and its twin in
Miami. The plan is for Pepe the food truck to serve sandwiches the chef
grew up with. Designed by Philippe Starck -- designer of the Delano
Hotel and the Bazaar at SLS Beverly Hills, among other properties -- the truck will be based out of SLS Hotel South Beach.
4. A winter Florida tomato worth celebrating: it's the Tasti-Lee, a beefsteak beauty developed at the University of Florida.
5. Calling all home cooks. Check out these spicy chicken wings for the Super Bowl or Chinese New Year. Another don't miss: hot sauce wars, with the newest tag, "I put that shit on everything."
6. Finally, Food and Wine offers six ways to ruin a cupcake. And here we thought they were already ruined by their ubiquity, these cockroaches of the culinary scene.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Pembroke Pines' Aisha Thalia a Finalist in PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door Contest
- Florida Beer: Swamp Ape Double Black IPA From Florida Beer Company
- South Florida's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Beach Pawty, Delish 2015, Happy...
- Ben & Jerry's to Launch Beer With New Belgium and the Ice Cream BRRR-ito