America's Top Chefs Commit to Help Japan
Chef Allen Susser and many of America's top chefs have gotten together to help the people of Japan in their efforts to rebuild the earthquake and tsunami ravaged country.
Chef Allen is one of the founders of Chefs Help Japan, which aims to put on benefit dinners to raise funds and awareness for the Japanese people and their rebuilding efforts. Their focus is on helping to rebuild fishing villages that were virtually destroyed by the tsunami and to aid children who lost their parents.
Chef Allen is no stranger to helping out charities. In 1992, he raised money to help the relief efforts in Miami after Hurricane Andrew. He also helped raise funds for the people of New Orleans after Katrina and to aid people in Haiti.
Chef Allen is joined by some heavy hitters in the culinary world, including:
- Alan Wong - Alan Wong's - Hawaii
- Susan Spicer - Mondo - New Orleans
- Thomas Buckely - Nobu - Miami
- Jonathan Dearden - Jade Mountain - St Lucia
- Andre Bienvenu - Joes Stone Crab - Miami
- Gabriel Fenton - Bourbon Steak - Aventura
- Douglas Rodriguez - D Rodriguez - South Beach
- Bill Cardwell - Cardwells at the Plaza - B.C. Kitchen - Cleveland
- John Howie - Sea Star Restaurant - Seattle
- Dawn Sieber - Culinary school - Jacksonville
- Abe Ng - Sushi Maki - Miami
- Ingrid Hoffmann - The Food Network / Telemundo
The goal is for these chefs to each produce benefits and fundraising dinners. Chef Allen led the charge with a dinner at his restaurant, Chef Allens in Aventura, on April 5th.
The $150 per plate Sushi, Sake and DInner reception featured Food Network Star Ingrid Hoffman as MC and dishes prepared by Nobu's Thomas Buckley, Joe's Stone Crab's Andre Bienvenu, Bourbon Steak's Gabriel Fenton, D Rodriguez's Doug Rodriguez and Sushi Maki's Abe Ng.
Future dinners are in the works. Stay tuned for details, as we learn them.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.