August 2015 Broward and Palm Beach Restaurant Openings and Closings
Roy Villacrusis is no longer involved with his long-awaited Jupiter establishment Nitrogen.
Photo by Libby Vision Photography
The heat wave is almost over, another uneventful hurricane season is just about to end (knock on wood), and football season kicks off September 10. Most of all, restaurateurs (and food writers) across South Florida are rejoicing because
The month of September also last reprieve before another season particular to our area that all the locals know well: Snowbird season. So get out there and enjoy the calm while you can.
August was a good month for restaurants. A few new places celebrated their official grand openings, including Tiger Woods' sports bar, The Woods Sports and Dining Club in Jupiter. And almost as quickly as it opened, Nitrogen in Jupiter might be closing after the loss of executive chef and co-founder Roy Villacrusis, who cites managerial issues as part of his abrupt departure from the new venture last week.
Some, like Chow in Himmarshee Village and Cheese Course in Boca Raton, closed. Such closings, however, aren't permanent. We're already hearing whisperings of a re-concept from Chow owner John Todora, and Vaughan Dugan says Cheese Course is set to become his latest project, Shaker & Pie.
Meanwhile, still more are renovating: Bimini Boatyard is set to become simply Boatyard this fall; Swank Southern Kitchen in Davie is getting a refresh; and 3030 Ocean has a pop-up restaurant, Tupelo, to keep patrons happy until they reopen in November.
- Nitrogen, Jupiter
- The Woods Jupiter: Sports and Dining Club, Jupiter
- Uncle Eddie's Ristorante, Jupiter
- Chef's Kitchen & Smokehouse, West Palm Beach
- Dunkin' Donuts, Lake Park
- Free House American Eatery & Pub, Delray Beach
- Vikings Steak, Seafood & Sushi, Delray Beach
- Don Che Bistro, Boynton Beach
- The Feisty Bull, Coral Springs
- Tupelo, Fort Lauderdale (pop-up for 3030 Ocean)
- SuViche, Fort Lauderdale
- Peking Tokyo Buffet, Fort Lauderdale
- Jugofresh, Fort Lauderdale
Cubbard, Fort Lauderdale
- Scolapasta Bistro, Fort Lauderdale
- Flash Fire Pizza, Fort Lauderdale
- Press Gourmet Sandwiches, Fort Lauderdale
- Novel Tea, Wilton Manors
- Rhino Donuts, Sunrise
- iSweets Cafe, Plantation
PacosTequila Stand, Hollywood
- Rebar Restaurant, Bar, and Lounge, Davie
- Cheese Course, Boca Raton
- Chow Sushi & BBQ, Fort Lauderdale
- Southern Swank Kitchen, Davie (re-opening after renovation)
Bar Rita will open later this fall in Fort Lauderdale.
Photo courtesy of Bar Rita
Juce, Palm Beach Gardens
- Lime Fresh, Boca Raton
- Chowder Truck-n-Snack Shack, Boynton Beach (food truck)
- Rocco's Tacos, Delray Beach
Juce, Boca Raton East
- 26 Degrees Brewing, Pompano Beach
- 5th Element Indian Grill, Pompano Beach
- Java Express, Pompano Beach
- Pompano Beach House, Pompano Beach
- Oceanic Dining, Pompano Beach
KhoffnerBrewing USA, Fort Lauderdale
B Square, Fort Lauderdale
- Top Hat Deli, Fort Lauderdale
- One Door East, Fort Lauderdale
- Pizzacraft Artisan Pizzeria, Fort Lauderdale
- The Apothecary, Fort Lauderdale
- Bar Rita, Fort Lauderdale
- Trader Joe's, Fort Lauderdale
- The Brass Tap, Fort Lauderdale
- Craft Food Counter & Kitchen, Oakland Park (Funky Buddha Brewery)
- Smoke BBQ, Fort Lauderdale
- Good Spirits Neighborhood Tavern, Fort Lauderdale
- Agave, Fort Lauderdale
Sliderz, Fort Lauderdale
- Margaritaville, Hollywood
- World of Beer, Plantation
- Hyde Beach Kitchen + Cocktails, Hallandale Beach
- Whiskey Creek Hideout, Dania Beach
Nicole Danna is a food writer covering Broward and Palm Beach counties. To get the latest in food and drink news in South Florida, follow her @SoFloNicole or find her latest food pics on the BPB New Times Food & Drink Instagram.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.