Best Chefs America Names South Florida's Finest
In an age when most people read electronically, Best Chefs America is a bit of a throwback. For now, it's available only in a hardbound edition ($75, available online at bestchefsamerica.com), but the recently published book is both beautiful and useful.
The book lists nearly 4,700 of the best chefs in America, sorted by state.
The methodology used to compile these top toques is a blend of old-school and new technology.
The company made nearly 70,000 calls, which resulted in over 5,000 chefs interviewed in confidential telephone discussions by a team of Best Chefs America analysts.
Though the questions are proprietary, Gabe Joseph, executive vice president of the company behind the book, said that each chef interviewed was asked the same questions. The interviews were conducted between March - December of 2012 and lasted about 10-15 minutes each.
Once the interviews were finished, proprietary software was used to
ggregate the data. The resulting data named the 4,644 best chefs in the
United States, growing food trends in the country, and the 25 most
influential chefs in the country.
Nearly 50 chefs in Broward and Palm
Beach counties were acknowledged. Chefs on the list did not have to be
executive chefs or restaurant owners -- anyone on the line who makes
excellent food could be named by their peers. In addition, the chefs were named for their individual talents, so some chefs are actually listed without being attached to a restaurant.
Each chef receives recognition of inclusion to the list and a window sticker for his or her restaurant.
- Bob Axenfeld, Ireland's Steakhouse (Weston)
- Timothy Boyd, Mustard Seed Bistro (Plantation)
- Bill Bruening, Sunfish Grill (Fort Lauderdale)
- Stanton Bundy, Royal Pig Pub (Fort Lauderdale)
- Chi Chan (Fort Lauderdale)
- Lauren DeShields, Market 17 (Fort Lauderdale)
- Angelo Elia, Casa D'Angelo (Fort Lauderdale)
- Jeremy Ford, 3030 Ocean (Fort Lauderdale)
- Marc Gruverman, The Capital Grille (Fort Lauderdale)
- Tetsu Hayakawa, Marumi Sushi (Plantation)
- Khaled Ibrahim, Via Luna (Fort Lauderdale)
- Toby Joseph, Wild Sea Oyster Bar & Grille (Fort Lauderdale)
- Jin Kaita, Cafe Sharaku closed (Fort Lauderdale)
- Aboud Kobaitri, La Brochette Bistro (Cooper City)
- Dean James Max, 3030 Ocean (Fort Lauderdale)
- Mark Militello, Hospitality Makers Consulting (Fort Lauderdale)
- Joseph Parsons, JoJo's Tacos (Lauderdale-by-the-Sea)
- Joseph Quinn, Da Campo Osteria (Fort Lauderdale)
- Giovanni Rocchio, Valentino's Cucina Italiana (Fort Lauderdale)
- Brian Rutherford, Bistro Mezzaluna (Fort Lauderdale)
- Allen Susser, Chef Allen's Consulting (Hollywood)
- Oliver Saucy, Cafe Maxx (Pompano Beach)
- Laurent Tasic, Sage French Cafe (Fort Lauderdale)
- Johnny Vinczencz, Johnny V (Fort Lauderdale)
- Michael Wagner, Lola's on Harrison (Hollywood)
Palm Beach County
- Zach Bell, Addison Reserve Country Club (Delray Beach)
- Patrick Broadhead, Max's Harvest (Delray Beach)
- Nitinun Chunsawang, Lemongrass Asian Bistro (Boca Raton)
- Joseph Clark, Sushi Jo (West Palm Beach)
- Clay Conley, Buccan (Palm Beach)
- Oscar DeLaCruz, Portebello Cucina Italiana (Jupiter)
- Marcello Fiorentino, Marcello's La Sirena (West Palm Beach)
- Arturo Gismondi, Arturo's Ristorante (Boca Raton)
- Norbert Goldner, L'Europe Cafe (Palm Beach)
- Adam Hervieux, 3800 Ocean (Riviera Beach)
- Nader Jaouhar,Cielo (Boca Raton)
- Jim Leiken, Cafe Boulud (Palm Beach)
- John Lenhard, Darbster (Boca Raton)
- Jean-Pierre Leverrier, Chef Jean-Pierre (Palm Beach)
- Chris Miracolo, Max's Harvest (Delray Beach)
- Carlo Sernaglia, Vagabondi Restaurant (West Palm Beach)
- Anthony Sicignano, The Breakers (Palm Beach)
- Andrew Swersky, Artizan Flatbread Company (Boca Raton)
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Miami New Times' Iron Fork Is Tonight: Five Best Reasons to Make the Drive
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
- Delray's Chef vs. Chef Competitors Take On Uni: Sea Sperm Never Tasted So Good!
- Ten Best Ramen Spots in Broward and Palm Beach Counties