Brewzzi, Due South Score Awards at Best Florida Beer Championships
Brewzzi, a Palm Beach brewpub, scored a total of ten medals at the 2013 Best Florida Beer Championships on Saturday in Tampa, winning two gold, four silver, and four bronze medals.
Due South Brewing Co. of Boynton Beach also came away with several medals, winning four silver and three bronze.
The medals were awarded in the professional brewer's division at the awards ceremony at the Florida Brewers' Guild Festival last Saturday.
Matt Manthe, brewmaster for Brewzzi's Boca Raton location, won six medals: one gold, two silver, and three bronze:
- Gold for his Munich Helles Zwickelbier in the German style unfiltered lager category, with the underlying style being a Munich Helles.
- Silvers for his Brewzzi Belgian Quad and Malicious Monk-both in the wood and barrel-aged strong beer category.
- Bronze for his Sour Kraut Goslar in the Gose German-style sour ale category, with a subcategory of Germany Leipzig-style Gose.
- Bronze for his Brewzzi American Wild Ale in the American style sour ale category.
- Bronze for his Anti-Reinheitsgebot Pilsner in the experimental beer category.
Reiny Knieriemen, Brewzzi's brewmaster at the CityPlace location , won four medals: one gold, two silver, and one bronze:
- Gold for his Brewzzi American IPA in the American IPA category.
- Silver for his Brewzzi Black Duke in the German-style swarzbier category.
- Silver for his Brewzzi Belgian Dubbel in the Belgian-style Dubbel category.
- Bronze for his Brewzzi Boca blonde in the Munich-style Helles category.
Even though Due South did not score gold, it submitted seven categories of beer and came away in the top three of each respective category:
- Silver for its Category 3 IPA in the American IPA category.
- Silver for its Apple Brandy Barrel-aged Caramel Cream Ale in the wood and barrel-aged category.
- Silver for its Category 4 IPA in the imperial IPA category.
- Silver for its Caramel Cream Ale in the specialty category.
- Bronze for its Bodacious Belgian Blonde in the Belgian-style blonde ale category.
- Bronze for its Bridgeport Scotch Ale in the Scottish-style heavy ale category.
- Bronze for its Cafe Ole Espresso Porter in the coffee-flavored beer category.
In addition to the professional brewers, Broward, Palm Beach, and Miami homebrewers took home a bunch of awards at the awards ceremony held February 23:
- Gary L. Fuller from Fort Lauderdale Area Brewers (FLAB) won gold in the fruit beer category (Group #201) for his Cocozilla beer.
- Russ A. Brunner from FLAB won bronze in the spice/herb/vegetable category (Group #211) for his Mounds Mild beer.
- Dave Kirsten and Bob Billany from Miami Area Society of Homebrewers (MASH) won bronze in the smoke-flavored and wood-aged beer category (#Group 221) for their Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Stout.
- Paul D. Blatz from the Palm Beach Draughtsmen (Boynton Beach) won gold in the European amber lager category (#Group 31) for his Blatzhaus Fest 2012 beer.
- Zach bush from the Palm Beach Draughtsmen took bronze in the porter category (#Group 121) for his Great Blue Yonder Coconut Porter.
- Scott Greenwood from the Palm Beach Draughtsmen won gold in the German wheat and rye beer (#Group 151) for his Greenwoods Hefe.
From Pensacola to Miami, brewers across the state competed against one another for Florida's best beer. All beers were judged according to the style guidelines of the BFBC, and World Beer Cup guidelines were used to provide a broader range of categories.
According to its website, the Best Florida Beer Championships were founded in 2000 by homebrewers, professional brewers, and lovers of craft beer in the Tampa Bay area.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Boca's Wick Theatre Channels Tavern on the Green With New Tavern Restaurant
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
- Downtown West Palm Beach Presents Fourth Annual Pairings Food & Wine Festival May 28
- Frozen Horchata and Sangria: El Camino Launches Summer Cocktail Menu With Frozen Drinks