Cherry Pie in Broward/Palm Beach (Sunday is Cherry Pie Day)
I believe it was Nostradamus who predicted that 2011 would be The Year of Pie. Following that logic, it stands to reason that Cherry Pie Day, otherwise known as Sunday, Feb. 20, should be a celebration to end all superfluous food holiday festivities.
Though not as readily available in Broward and Palm Beach counties as the classic Americana darling, apple pie, or the quintessentially South Florida staple (and this food blogger's personal fav), Key Lime, cherry pie is certainly deserving of a spot on your dessert plate and a date on the calendar. Not convinced? Just ask a certain poodle rock band from the late '80s and I'm sure they'll agree. This is one dessert that will put a smile on your face 10 miles wide.
But where to find cherry pie--a traditionally northern treat--in this sub-tropical clime? We did some digging and came up with a smattering of places where you can grab a piece of the pie. Listed below are a few starting points (some are dine in, others are takeaway only); suggested sides include a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a damn fine cup of coffee and Kyle MacLachlan, circa 1990:
- 84 Diner and Lounge, 11432 W. State Road 84, Davie (dine in)
- Lester's Diner, 250 W. State Rd. 84, Fort Lauderdale (dine in)
- Lorene's Loving Oven, 905 US Unit K, Lake Park; 561-881-9006 (takeaway)
- Peter Pan Diner, 1216 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Oakland Park (dine in)
- The Upper Crust, 2015 North Dixie Highway, Lake Worth; 561-586-5456 (takeaway; available in multiple points throughout the county)
Did we miss the best cherry pie in Broward/Palm Beach? Leave your suggestion in the comments section and help us all celebrate Cherry Pie Day in style.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.