Doggy Bag: This Week in Charlie
The Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction, Colorado.
It's been one helluva week on the blog:
- Fort Lauderdale's own taste of Boston, Kelly's Landing turns 23. Or is that two?
- New River Pizza makes its pie the new old-fashioned way, which is to say coal-free.
- Key to winning over an in-law's heart? Brined pork.
- A sushi restaurant in Mizner Park serves bad fusion. But a host of similar-sounding commenters think we gave it a bad rap.
- Our dish review of the week is on hidden gem Usmania Pakistani Restaurant, open in Plantation.
- Riki shuttles the Love Train up to Canyon in Fort Lauderdale. Coincidentally, I spent last week inside of actual canyons.
- Brain curry, it turns out, is totally safe to eat. So, like, yeah. Get to it, people.
- Zagat unveils its South Florida edition and proves that all anyone really wants out of life is a cuddly blanket of meat.
- Sweet Dreams in the Seminole Coconut Creek Casino started this week -- Rocco DiSpirito of TV's The Restaurant will show up next Saturday.
- Our beer of the week is very difficult to get in Florida -- may I suggest special-ordering it.
- The Meatist suggests mixing pig and fowl for optimal results.
- Mmmm... pork skin attached.
- When it comes to tomatoes, the only name you should know is San Marzano.
- Gulfstream Park is blowing up, yo. In February, that is.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.