Drag Down Cancer, Hot Dogs Stomp Boca, Brunch in Fort Lauderdale
Chicago dogs are coming into port in Boca.
• Says a Boca Raton friend to me a few weeks ago: "There are no good hot dog places in Boca Raton!" Not so now, as Hot Dog-Opolis opened on November 16 at 6020 N. Federal Highway. The hut slings Chicago-style weiners made with Vienna Beef in a plethora of sizes from mini to jumbo as well as Maxwell Street Polish sausages with any combination of toppings you like. HDO is cheap too: A Chicago special with daily-cut French fries fried in peanut oil and drink will run you just $3.95. You'll find plenty of other Chicago-style treats, too, like Italian beef and brisket sandwiches, cheese fries, burgers, and chili. I'm getting heartburn just thinking about it. Call 561-988-5959, or visit hotdogopolis.com.
• Next Wednesday, Fort Lauderdale's fab-tabulous drag revue Lips will host Drag Down Cancer, a nightlong celebration benefiting Gilda's Club. In addition to a knock-down, drag-out show by La-di-da's best female impersonators, Lips will throw down with prizes, drinks, and a prix fixe dinner menu from 7 p.m. to midnight. $50 gets you in a ticket to the show. Call 954-567-0987.
• Let's face it: brunch is just an excuse to wake up late and keep drinking from the night before. And I'd be curious to see just how many late night hook ups return to YOLO on Sunday mornings to reprise their adventures with the restaurant's new brunch menu. Salmon BLTs, made-to-order omeletes, smoked pork hash, and breakfast burritos may fill the stomach, but they can't cure regret. Only copious amounts of booze can do that, which YOLO has in fierce supply. There's even a custom bloody mary bar where patrons can instruct tenders just how they like their liquid love. The brunch runs from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 954-523-1000.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Chef Q&A: Bravo's Below Deck Chef Ben Robinson Dishes on Strange Yacht Requests
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- The Seven Best Breakfast Spots in Palm Beach County
- South Florida Food & Drink Events for the Week: Bottle Releases, Oyster Tasting,...