Feeding Your Other Senses: Some Unusual Uses for Foods
Patty Canedo is a chef in Palm Beach. She writes frequently about her kitchen exploits in her column, Half-Baked.
Photo by sun dazed
- Fight pink eye by rinsing your eye out with (cold) herbal tea until it clears up. (This little tip was prescribed by my medical entourage.)
- A small boiling pot of water with a cinnamon stick and some cloves makes any open kitchen smell like fresh apple pie.
- Lighting the tip of a rosemary stick fills a dining room with a soft woody frangrance better than any incense you can buy.
- Even the most skilled cooks burn themselves. Rub a lemon on the burn, and the acidity will neutrilize even the most painful ones. Tomatoes work just as well, but a lemon is cleaner and smells better.
- One uncooked spaghetti noodle makes one great cake tester.
- It's no accident there's a box of cornstarch stored in the freezer...too help the guys get through the grueling summer months.
- Recipe for a deep conditioning treatment: 1 egg, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp honey, and the juice of one lemon. Mix and rub in your scalp (double for longer, thicker hair). Wrap your hair in a towel and let sit for 10 minutes, then wash as normal.
Trip to the salon=$$$. Trip to the fridge= pennies.
Finally, I could speak very intelligently about all the nutrional and medicinal benefits of all kinds of foods and herbs. Studies, medical findings, its a subject fraught with interesting and amazing information. So I'll end with something you might not read about:
- In a kitchen, you have to be sure to cut extra when it comes to pineapple. Guys devour it wanting to retain its sweet flavor. In other words, a moment on their lips for tasty enjoyment on someone else's lips later.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Taste Haitian Home Cooking at Piman Cafe in Fort Lauderdale
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- Myschyf Hemp Liqueur Is Not Marijuana, but It's Straight Out of Florida
- The First Beers Brewed by 12 of South Florida's Best Breweries